Return to the Porches & Decks Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
PT Pine - sealing and staining

Posted by renna44 (My Page) on
Fri, Apr 16, 10 at 16:21

There's a posting titled something like "I've had it with deck stains"... which is exactly how I feel about my fence. Granted, I'm fairly clueless when it comes to this stuff, but if I could just get a clear picture of what I need to do, it would be FAB-U-LOUS! My dad says one thing, my uncle another, HD another, & I'm so confused.

Here's my question(s) - I am having a 6 ft pressure-treated pine, dog eared fence installed in May. I live in the south, w/sunny and humid summers. I want to have the fence stained a cedar-ish. Ok, so -

Should I wait a certain time frame after it's installed to have it sealed/stained?

Is sealing & staining one in the same? Is there a product that does both? Or is this 2 seperate steps?

Is the purpose of sealing it to help resist moisture? And the stain-- simply eye candy?

What is the best product to use? Something w/an oil in it to penetrate best?

If I use a semi-transparent stain, can I just re-apply stain in a few years when it starts to fade?

thank you - THANK YOU.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: PT Pine - sealing and staining

Dont wait for anything but good weather to put the finish on an outdoor project.

Finish will not help the normal factory pannel fence job last any longer than it would with out it because the stringers are not weather resistent lumber.

Quality outdoor finish has uv,water,and mildew protection provided. Using them is a one step deal. I use TWP 100 series.
www.wooddefender.com and www.woodrich-brand.com sell quality outdoor finish as well.

If you are using factory pannels and want to try to extend the life,use one of the above and soak the area where the stringers are in contact with the pickets...a couple of times... then place the finish on the whole pannel.

JonMon www.deckmastersllc.com

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Porches & Decks Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here