Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ralphv_gw

What is a GOOD brand of deck stain?

ralphv
16 years ago

I'm tired of staining my decks only to have them look faded within 18 months. The last time I stained I used Olympic oil base semi-transparent stain. I thought Olympic was about as good as it got for such projects but in just a few short months the water stopped beading and within a year the deck looked old again. So, are there any deck stains out there that won't keep me busy every other year?

Here is a link that might be useful: My photo galleries

Comments (8)

• john_hyatt
    16 years ago

Nope. J

• pressurepro
    16 years ago

The best you can hope for, Ralph is an every other year maintenance schedule. There are products out there touting longer life spans but so far I have yet to see one of these companies show pictures of decks 6 years or older that are still holding up. The best you can do is get a product that is easy to maintain. Stick with the penetrating oils.

• finefinishes
    16 years ago

Well if you dont want the hassle of treating your deck every two years, and want the very best, use Bonds One time wood! I have been using it for over 7 years and it does what it says it does. Stay away from products that are priced under $30.00. An old saying nothing more expensive than cheap coatings.
    Good luck

• seeformiles
    16 years ago

Tell me more about this Bond's One Time Wood! Is it a stain or a varnish-like finish? When the time comes to refinish, what do you have to do? How long have you seen it last, finefinishes?

• diyhomecenter
    15 years ago

If anyone finds the magic please let me know what it is, because my deck irritates the fire out me sometimes. At least my patio furniture has handled the elemnts pretty well.

Here is a link that might be useful: Polywood

• john_hyatt
    15 years ago

Its a deal with outdoor finish, a Person can go with man made stuff and agree with the many short falls involved with them different as they are from wood construstion in a few ways.

Nice span job diyh.

But really Folks keeping up a high grade project done with say..ipe or garapa..is about the same as washing and waxing your car. Now some Wallets get the fire irritates thing going on with Any work involved with Anything.

Now to me its very relaxing to work on my own stuff I actually enjoy every min cleaning up my Sportster,mowing the lawn,keeping the finish up on my S American deck out back of Butler Manor and washing/waxing my 97 two door Tahoe.

If you want to belive in a one time finish like that all I have to say is just go ahead on it,,there is no use going into this subject again.

Anything worth while is going to require some Work.

John Mon

• tommyw
    15 years ago

I got tired of restaining my deck every year. I went to a solid color deck stain that is more like a paint than a stain. It now just neeeds a quick once over every four years to look 'new'.

• deckman48
    15 years ago

Which stain is best: Penofin? TWP? DEFY? or Messmers?