Return to the Porches & Decks Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How thick are the ceiling trim boards?

Posted by love_the_yard (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 27, 14 at 15:51

Please see photos below. The back porch faces due west and I want to hang some blinds to create some shade in the afternoon. The screens are framed in aluminum all of the way around (painted white). I want to hang the blinds from the wood trim just to the inside of the aluminum frame (painted gray).

My question is this: how thick is the board from which I want to hang the blinds? It is the board marked "wood (gray)" in the last photo below. Is there a trick to determining that? Should I use toggle bolts? I don't want buy super heavy-duty stainless steal eye bolts/eye screws just to find out they are doing nothing but pushing up air when I screw them in and the board is nothing but 1/2" thick.

What do you experienced folks suggest? I am such a novice!(Hanging my head.) I don't really have a clue what I'm doing. I did try "Mr. Google" but apparently I am not using good search terms.

Thanks so much!
Carol

photo IMG_2623Large.jpg

photo IMG_2626Large.jpg

photo IMG_2628Large.jpg

photo IMG_2627labels.jpg

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How thick are the ceiling trim boards?

Below is a link to the shades I am building so you can get the whole picture.

Thanks!
Carol

Here is a link that might be useful: DIY tropical style room divider

o

You should be ok but the only way to be sure is to drill a hole and see what's there.

Question: do you plan to always have the blinds down? By the time you buy all the parts for the DIY you may find that the HD blinds could save you $$ and the hassle.
I've linked to one type .........and HD also carries it in 6' widths. I believe HD is able to cut the blinds to the width you need......at least they used to.

Here is a link that might be useful: Roll up blinds

o

Thank you for all of the help! I went ahead and built the dividers. Will be hanging them today. I will post pictures when I get them up!

Carol

o

Thanks again for all of the help! I have posted pictures of the finished shades at the link below.

Carol

Here is a link that might be useful: Creating Shade on my Screened-in Porch

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Porches & Decks Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here