Return to the Porches & Decks Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Deck Built with Western Red Cedar Question

Posted by walnutcreek (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 30, 12 at 15:35

Having to have our deck rebuilt. Contractor I am considering would use Western Red Cedar.

Is that wood good for a deck?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Deck Built with Western Red Cedar Question

What part of the deck is he planning on using the Western Red Cedar for?

o

To the best of my understanding, all of the deck: flooring, handrails, pergola, lattice, etc.

o

My main question was the deck framing not being built from WRC as it is a soft wood and not strong enough for substructure. No issues at all from my end on using it for any of the above as a matter of fact it is very often used as your describing it.

o

Be aware that WRC will turn grey within a year.

o

Thank you very much millworkman. I am going to query the contractor to find out what they will use for the deck framing as that was not listed in the estimate. I don't know if he plans on using the current framing or not, but will find out.

Ntruro, I don't mind the grey at all, but thanks for the insite.

o

Just got the info that the deck graming will be treated ground contact pine. Does that sound like it will be okay?

o

Sorry, the word should have been framing not graming. Is treated ground contact pine a good choice for the framing?

o

Some Cabot stain will arrest, or help that graying.
Be aware, WRC is soft compared to other woods, so moving furniture, walking in heels are considerations.

o

Treated Ground Contact Pine would be the correct choice for the framing.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Porches & Decks Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here