Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
karenmaness_gw

Pics of 4 yr old ipe deck with only one coat of stain - yuk!

karenmaness
14 years ago

Our ipe deck was built in April 06. We stained it with one well worked in coat of TWP 116 rustic in July of that year. Here is the newly stained deck in July 06:

Here it is one year later (Summer 07):

And here it is today, April 2010 (with no further attention):

A textbook progression from stained to bare gray wood...

This pic shows the difference between a roof vertical post and the horizontal deck boards. This post still sports much of its original stain after 4 years even though it does see a bit of afternoon sun.

I had posted 2 years back about black stuff growing on our railing (seen here in summer 08):

Here is the railing today... everything is faded to gray, including much of the black stuff.

However, on the outside vertical boards we do have some black streaks that are pretty unsightly:

SO... All that background is just for the benefit of anyone who wonders what a 4 yr old ipe deck with one coat of stain looks like after 3 years of neglect!

I really do mean to put a stain on it this year! Back in 2006, we had used Restore-a-Deck to prepare the deck and then finished with the TWP. I know Restore-a-Deck is now out of business. So my current basic plan is to order the 2 step cleaning process from Woodrich (steps 1 and 2) and then put on their hardwood wiping stain. My stretch goal would be to put another coat of stain on in the fall to hopefully make the finish last a little longer this time.

Since my finish is all but gone, am I correct to assume that the Woodrich steps 1 and 2 will be adequate to prepare the deck for a new stain?

Does anyone see a need for sanding? The portion of the railing that receives the most intense summer sun is showing signs of deterioration, with some thin cracks and even some places where the wood has gouged out a bit...

Any advice would be appreciated!

Comments (4)

• john_hyatt
    14 years ago

Intersting Karen.

I am thinking we had some question on the cap rail being ipe that is it looked a lot like Cumaru. Still does.

Ken was just puting on a different sticker after he bought from woodrich exactley the same product/ Co. The stripper/brightner work well I use the stripper my own self but buy the oxalic in 50 lb bags.

The vertciel stains are from water run off. Unless you really want to there would really be no need for Me to strip the thing I would use the oxalic brightner and a good scrubing there is no need to remove what ever finish is still on there twp and woodrich finish are very close to the same.

With or with out the stripper scrubing will be nessecary not just rolling it on and washing it off.

John Hyatt www.deckmastersllc.com

• karenmaness
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks John. Yes, it's me again. What do you use to scrub? a stiff brush or something like that?

At one point you had said to sand the rail cap. Is that still something we need to do as well?

• john_hyatt
    14 years ago

Woodrich brightner ,oxalic base with a buffer, with what we call a scrub n rub I use a hand brush like you can buy at the supermarket put on some gloves splash the stuff on and scrub. This would be for the rail system and the skirting. Add the brightner to the water not the water to the brightner. Water wash it all off with a garden sprayer, All of it.

Remember your not trying to remove the finish just the crud the wash effect will happen on contact even tho you wont see it.

For the deck itself I use a 14'' floor machine with a scrub pad stuck on this goes very quickley. If you cant find one of those use a handled deck brush finish off the corners with the hand brush. Be tidie around the alum balusters thay are power coated but just be carefull.

Sand with an orbital sander 60 grit pads where needed if the little sharp whiskers come up. The covered area will always be in different shape then the rest nothing to do about that.

Woodrich was crafted from twp nither need stripping just another coat after cleaning I advise two coats using the sprit of a sound mind , that is waiting for the first one to set up, and another come late spring. after trying a test area first.

And Dont Wait so long for a recoat!!!!!!!!!!!

Ghesssssssss. J.

• mjh5
    14 years ago

Karen,
    You might want to post your photos at The Grime Scene http://www.thegrimescene.com/forums/forum.php They have a DIY forum and may have additional insight into what the "black stuff" is. Did you ever do a test patch with pure bleach to see if it disappeared?

If you have mildew on your deck it is my understanding that Oxalic acid doesn't kill it, in which case you may want to use a percarbonate cleaner like EFC-38 (same as RAD part 1).

Marty

Sponsored
RTS Home Solutions
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
BIA of Central Ohio Award Winning Contractor