Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
onewomanarmy_gw

Concrete slab "finsh"?

onewomanarmy
11 years ago

We have a concrete slab, which has been extended (so technically, 2 slabs) in order to give us the size we wanted for a screened in porch. Now that the construction on the structure is done, and we've lived with it for a while, we are trying to decide what to do about the "floor" of this space.

The concrete itself has a rough finish - not too rough to walk on bare footed, but not as comfortable and inviting as we'd like for this space. We'd also like the space to have a more finished feel. I'm looking for suggestions and ideas on how to accomplish this. The things that I think are relevant to the decision -
- we don't want carpet because we don't want something that will retain water (and dirt)
- we have three dogs that make numerous trips through this area every day (another reason to vote "no" for carpet!)
- we'd like something that gives the space a more finished, comfortable feel and that is easy on the feet
- we live in central Ky, so have hot summers and fairly cold winters (freezes, ice, snow, though generally not to great extremes)
- space is approx 14.5' x 15.5

I'd try to stain it myself but the surface isn't quite what we'd like, so I'm assuming our options are either an overlay or some sort of decking tiles. Thought I'd see if there are any other suggestions or ideas, or some words of wisdom on what I need to look for from contractors.

(Is overlay the correct terminology here? I'm thinking a thin surface applied to the existing concrete, with either some sort of pattern or color/acid wash applied and a "softer" surface to the feet.)

Thanks for any opinions and advice!

Comments (3)