Return to the Porches & Decks Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Andersen 400 versus Jeld-wen Siteline EX for patio doors

Posted by jay_fillion (My Page) on
Fri, Apr 27, 12 at 14:51

In doing a flooring project I found that my patio door was leaking and needs to be replaced. I need to pick a new door in short order. My wife and I would like one which has a white metal (or other material) finish on the exterior and wood on the interior. I would stain it to match the rest of the house. It will take a standard 72 x 80 door. We are mainly considering the double swing door or single swing / fixed doors. We're also looking at sliders, but don't like as much. I'd like to keep the material cost of the door under $2k if I can.

Local stores seem to mainly quote the Jeld-wen Siteline EX and Andersen (400 series or 200 series). I've generally heard that the Andersen is a higher quality and more reliable door than the Jeld-wen. I've read that there can be some quality problems on Jeld-wen. But I've also read that Andersen can rot prematurely.

I was wondering if folks have any input on the true differences between them:
Is one significantly better made?
Is one significantly more aesthetically pleasing?
Is either more reliable?
Is the Andersen truly worth the extra money?
Does the Siteline EX more closely line up with the 400 series or the 200 series?

Any insight would be appreciated.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Andersen 400 versus Jeld-wen Siteline EX for patio doors

Andersen is a fair to middle of the road product any Jeldwen is lower on the food chain from my perspective. You may get more opinions if you post on the "Window Forum" here on GW.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Porches & Decks Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here