Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sstangler_gw

Screen Porch Flooring

sstangler
15 years ago

We are planning a screen porch addition to our home in SE Wisconsin. We are planning combo screen/storm panels to allow the use of the room in spring/fall. Phase II may even include a masonry fireplace. We can't seem to decide on the porch floor. We keep going back and forth between 1x6 decking (narrowed down to Azek or IPE) or T&G IPE porch flooring. I understand with the porch flooring, the floor would need to be sloped to allow water runoff. But I am thinking a "pro" for the porch flooring would be that the room would stay a little warmer in the cold months, and we would not have to bother with screening underneath to keep out the bugs. What is the required spacing for 1x6 decking? Can anyone who has decking in a screen porch (in the north) comment? I love the look of the IPE in general, but of course price/cost is a factor. I need to have money left to actually put furniture in the room:)

Thank so much,

Shana

Wisconsin

Comments (8)

• theporchguy
    15 years ago

sstangler,

I love to use 5/4 x 4 T&G Flooring for my screen rooms. As you said, no bug worries and alot warmer in the fall.
    My experience with composite T&G is somewhat limited. Here in the Northeast I've always used mahogany T&G flooring.
    Check out some of my photos and perhaps you can get some ideas.

Good Luck,

All the best,

The PorchGuy

Here is a link that might be useful: My Album

• john_hyatt
    15 years ago

Installing T&G material exposed to the weather is not the same as puting down a floor inside your house.

T&G Decking drains the same as any other decking thru the gap,the same 1/8 gap as face fastened material. T&G Decking is not going to be any warmer or keep bugs out.
    John

• mjh5
    15 years ago

Have you considered using an exterior rated ceramic tile for your flooring. We did on our screened porch and it has worked out well. I've yet to see a bug work it's way through!

Marty

• sstangler
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks for your replies. I don't understand how you would keep an 1/8 gap in the T&G porch flooring. I picked up a sample of the Ironwoods T&G and the tongue is 1/8". Do you just touch the boards together? This doesn't seem to be the look that I have seen in porch flooring, like in older homes.

Marty, we have considered ceramic tile, but weren't sure if we could install it on a wood foundation. We want to keep the porch level with the house and we have about 18" to the ground. Also, we thought the tile would be colder on the feet than the wood - we honestly only have 3-4 warm months here in Wisconsin! :(
    Thanks

• john_hyatt
    15 years ago

Some outfits sell inside T&G flooring for outside projects, bad idea but what the hay gata make a buck when you can.

The older wrap around porches used what they had regular T&G material installed on a frame with major fall to the outside,the floor was installed at a 90 to the house so the water ran with the joint not against it. They also started to rot right away but older places have that kind of cool look and Folks put up with a few things for the feel/look of yesterday.

I would love to use tile on an outside project installed over wood in fact we have talked several times over here about doing that but it just wont work. One poster showed some pictures of his try over plywood....It wasent pretty.

I get my T&G ipe from EastTeak its not klin dried,they mill it with an extra 1/8'' in the G, its installed with ss screws thru the G with construstion adhesive on the joists. With low to the ground projects,if fact with all decking jobs Cross Ventalation Is A Must X 100 using T&G ipe. J.

• mjh5
    15 years ago

John,

I had a a screen porch built in 2005 with a ceramic tiled floor over plywood. However, my contractor used the Ditra system, a waterproof membrane, (http://www.schluter.com/6_1_ditra.aspx) between the plywood and the tile. It has held up beautifully in Upstate NY (zone 5). I researched the issue thoroughly. We have wide overhangs on the porch and a gutter on the deck side so very little water gets in anyhow. If you click on my name and email me I can send you some pictures.
    Marty

• john_hyatt
    15 years ago

This site is rejecting your mail,but I would very much like to see tile on a wood platform exposed to the weather pictures three years old. J.

• sstangler
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I have been around and around every flooring choice known to man (and woman in this case!). I like the look of tile (afriad it will be too cold on the feet in Wis), like the idea of composite but can't find the brazilian teak-look we love, in one that will hold up to 3 boys and a dog. SO, it's back to 1x6 Ipe. I love the look, and moreso the FEEL under my feet. I don't have a problem with the surface screws, and we're hoping to walk out from the house so we'll have 14" to the ground. We're hoping to skirt the deck, but what kind of ventilation will be necessary? I read all about the wax on the cut ends, and the constructive adhesive on the joists. What else?
    Thanks!!

Sponsored
Dream Outdoor Solutions
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
Providing Quality Home Improvements in South Riding for Over 30 Years