Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lucycakes

Does Penofin have strong Odor?

lucycakes
14 years ago

We are planning on using Penofin Hardwood on a new Ipe deck. I recall using other products on a redwood deck that had such a strong odor that we were not able to use the deck for several weeks.

Does Penofin have a strong odor? If so, is the smell long-lasting?

Many thanks for your input.

Comments (7)

• salmon_slayer
    14 years ago

Lucy, why are you using Penofin? Have you had recommendations from people who have actually used it?
    Steve

• john_hyatt
    14 years ago

I just cant see Any outdoor finish keeping a smell for several weeks unless the person was hyper ulta nose aware or they use railroad material.

Thumbs down on penofin. J.

• lucycakes
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Penofin is used by the guy installing the deck, who so far seems to know what he is doing. He installed our indoor hardwood flooring and did a good job. I checked the East Teak site and Penofin is one of the finishes recommended. So why the thumbs down? What would you say is better?
    Thanks

• brooklyndecks
    14 years ago

Penofin does have a strong odor. I use it on all of my deck projects. Easy to apply, and it looks great...for awhile. How long a while? that depends on the location of the deck. Shady is better. I don't know how long the smell lasts, as I'm gone before the smell is.

steve

• tomjsuch_hotmail_com
    13 years ago

I recently used Penofin (hardwood formula)on my new mahogany decking. All sides of each board were coated prior to installation. It did have an odor, but I wouldn't call it "strong." I was working in a closed 2-car garage, so it was not a confined space.

I would however caution you to the "spontaneous combustion" property of the product. I had a helper assisting me with the staining, and unbeknownst to me, placed the soiled rags in a pile on the floor in the garage. I awoke the next morning to find the garage filled with smoke, the rags smoldering. and once I moved them to the open air, they immediately burst into flame.

All-in-all I like the quality of the Penofin products, and will continue to use them... just keep a better eye on any helpers.

• dooer
    13 years ago

Spontaneous combustion is a real issue.

One of my workers left some rags in the back of his truck, in a plastic pail. The night was very damp. Middle of the night, truck burned almost completly up.

One of my clients had his kids stain his ipe deck. They tossed the rags in a unused room of the house. House caught on fire. Luckily there were some workers nearby, who spotted it. It burned a hole in the floor and melted a vinyl slider.

We use Penofin and the smell is no worse then any other oil based stain. Life expectancy on ipe is very short.