Return to the Porches & Decks Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
HELP - How to properly mount wooden porch posts?

Posted by crabjoe (My Page) on
Fri, Apr 25, 14 at 14:29

I've got a porch post that's rotting and since I couldn't find a match, I'm now having to replace all 4 posts.

I recently picked up the new wooden posts, but I've got some question.

1. will cutting the new posts to the same as the wold be fine, or should I cut them z 1/4 in longer or something? The reason I'm asking is because the posts aren't mounted to the floor. They are being held in place by the weight of the roof, it's holding up.

2. What should I use to mount the top of the post to the bulkhead or whatever it's call? I think the builder just used some nails, but even if I go with nail, are they any specific size or type of nail? Might screws make of brass or something be better?

BTW, the posts are 6"x6"x9'. I've got to cut them down to 98 inches....

Thanks!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: HELP - How to properly mount wooden porch posts?

The image illustrates the type of metal post base you should use. The base keeps the wood post from actually touching the deck or porch floor where it wicks up water and rots.

Paint or trim around the base to hide it.

There are also decorative versions of this hardware that look nicer. Search google for "steel post base", for examples.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Porches & Decks Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here