Return to the Porches & Decks Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Flush beam and dropped beam combo

Posted by valuable1 (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 22, 13 at 13:26

I have attached ledger boards (either side of bay) and continuous with existing deck. I had planned on two beams: one 5'6" from the ledger the other 6' 6" from the first, both using (2) 2x8. To use the existing grade I want to use a flush beam configuration with hangers to the first beam and than run the joists over a dropped beam for the second (farthest from the ledger) to accommodate a 2' cantilever, In addition to avoiding grading issues I would than be handling joists lengths of only 8-12 feet, a big plus as I work alone as a DIY. As I could not find a reference to this combo of beam types I wonder if I am violating some basic framing principles?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Flush beam and dropped beam combo

I'm having trouble understanding exactly what you are trying to do. Maybe a diagram would help.

My deck is cantilevered three feet in two directions.

I had to use two LVL beams. There's a 3.5inch wide one that runs straight out from the door. And a 5.25inch one that runs diagonally from under the door to the corner nearest the camera. The company that supplied the beams had a structural engineer that signed off on the design to the satisfaction of the local building inspector. It took several iterations to come up with something that they would approve. The diagonal beam made the framing a bit tricky but it sounds like you won't need to do that.

Anyway - the LVL beams let me do something that my contractor thought was not possible!

o
RE: Flush beam and dropped beam combo

I don't see an issue. It's no different from framing a screen porch with a perimeter beam and then hanging the attached deck joists off that. What does your permit authority say? At the end of the day, they're the ones you need to please.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Porches & Decks Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here