Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
j_omom

UltraDeck (Menards) composite decking?

j_omom
16 years ago

My husband and I are planning to build a deck on our home in Chicago and are considering the use of wood vs. composite decking. In particular, I have a question if anyone has used or is familiar with UltraDeck Natural - the composite decking sold by Menards. If you have used it or are familiar with UltraDeck, what are the pros and cons? Would you recommend it vs. traditional wood decking? Are there other affordable decking options that you might recommend?

Thanks in advance!

Comments (148)

• Paul Ahern
    last year

i wish I had read these reviews and complaints before my purchase. Ordered Ultradeck rustic redwood based on color samples at the Wixom Michigan store in April. After receiving the initial order we decide in June to expand the size of the deck which required another custom order again based on the samples in the store. The initial order was kept stored outdoors and covered to avoid excessive weathering. Once we got confirmation that the second shipment was in transit I had my contractor start installing the decking. We picked up the second order and started to install it when it became very evident that color and finish was different. I returned to the local store and showed them the pictures and they agreed they were different, however since some of it was installed the complaint had to go to corporate by US Mail. About 2 weeks later I received a letter that stated the complaint will be handled by the warranty holder Midwest manufacturing and my complaint with pictures was allegedly forwarded on. A couple of weeks later I received a letter by US Mail stating that the color variance was due to normal aging, in one week. Here is where their explanation is lacking any factual evidence. The initial order from April is still the same color as it was when originally delivered and installed. The second order received in June and installed in June looks severely weathered.. I expected the deck to weather over time, and I am sure it will. The two different boards will obviously weather and will never weather the same. Menards has not offered any solution, just denial letters.

• HU-254575643
    last year
    last modified: last year

They haven’t blamed the installer yet. That should be coming next.

• User
    last year

Ultra deck says it fades in 60-90 days, Ultradeck also has a maximum span of 12” O.C. for the joists it appears yours are at least 16” on center which voids their warranty to my knowledge and also is likely why your deck became spongy. As for cracking I would be interested to see if your deck was framed @ 12” O.C. Spacing or bigger. Still not saying this is a great product but it literally states it will fade and even tells you max joist spacing.

• HU-254575643
    last year

Yes, it fades. But fading is the least of the problems with Ultradeck. Random chunks just break off. It warps, it cracks. Bottom line, it’s overpriced crap.

• User
    last year

What isn’t overpriced these days? But how far is your joist spacing?

• HU-254575643
    last year

Are you a Menards employee? My joist spacing? Really? Crap product plain & simple.

• User
    last year

Nope just curious

• Kim Moyer
    last year

Ultradeck is junk!

• PRO
    GN Builders L.L.C
    last year

I said it before and I repeat it... Any decking from any manufacturer with a scalloped underside is junk, it's a big box special.

I built hundreds of decks and never used this product and when customers requested or purchased to be installed I walked away from the job so I didn't have to hear it later.

Decking is an outdoor product, it has to withstand the sun, the weather, the traffic, and whatnot, therefore It's worth spending a little more and end up with a decent product that will last a long time vs. all these underpriced materials that in a month look like its 20 yrs old and ready to be replaced.

• HU-254575643
    last year

Underpriced material? Ultradeck cost 4 times what regular decking materials would have cost because it was promised to be vastly superior to pressure treated. The warranty was supposed to protect the buyer except Mensrds refuses to honor the warranty. Yes, this product is crap and I found out the hard way. If I had read this thread befo before building my deck, I never would have chosen Ultradeck.

• HU-246943446
    last year

I installed $4000 worth of ultradeck fusion this summer. My problem was with complete lack of quality control and uniformity.

With the high price of this material i layed out very carefully how much of each length boards i would need.

As i was installing the product i started realizing every different length has a slightly different color and texture and even the thicknesses varied.

I contacted menards and they basically

told me that their product is cheaper than the competition so just accept it.

I have no confidence that this product is going to hold up.

Half way thru this poject, i wished i had just replaced the cedar with cedar which had held up for 25 years.

• HU-254575643
    last year

Sorry you’re about to go through the same nightmare the rest of us have.

• mrekar
    last year

Oh this is scary. we are about to buy from Menards composite decking! We are in Chicagoland. what brand of compsite decking would you recommend? Thank you for this thread.

• HU-254575643
    last year

None

• HU-246943446
    last year

I can’t speak of any other products, alth although i have since seen a couple of trex decks and they looked pretty nice compared to the ultra deck.

• Dennis Dieck
    last year

I purchased Ultradeck from Menards and had it professionally installed. Within a few years it started to warp and water pools on the boards. I live in Wisconsin where this is a problem when it freezes. I was told by Menards that it was installed too close on the ends causing the warping. The contractors returned and cut the ends of the boards and I was told to wait and the warping would go way. This hasn't happened and in fact it has gotten worse. I am waiting until June to contact Menards again to see what they say. I also want to say that I had cut off pieces from the deck boards that were never installed but stored in the elements, these also warped. I firmly believe that this product is faults and that it needs to be replaced under warranty.

• HU-254575643
    last year

I can guarantee you Menards will NOT stand behind their warranty. You will get absolutely no satisfaction. Their default response is faulty installation. They will NOT give you a cent to reimburse you for their faulty product.

• User
    last year

Plastic / composite boards will warp if not installed correctly this goes for any composites. By spacing are you talking about the room you’re supposed to leave between them for them renal expansion?

• User
    last year

^* thermal expansion

• Dennis Dieck
    last year

The spacing between the boards was correct as we used the clips that came with the product. The end spacing was questioned but it was corrected. if the end spacing was incorrect, the boards would bow up and not cup. The Ultra deck is coated on the top and not the bottom. I believe that this is causing moisture absorption and the warping. The product is a composite and made partially with wood fibers. Wood absorbs moisture when exposed to water and humidity causing expansion and this I believe is causing the cupping of the boards.

• Dennis Alvarado
    11 months ago

I just had Ultra Deck Inspire delivered to my house. As soon as it arrived I realized that half the boards did not match. I contacted Menards, and they told me I had to deal with the store directly about this issue. They agreed that the boards did not match and the textures are different. They also told me this is a common problem and a known complaint with Ultra Deck. So I went to return the boards and was informed that I would have to pay a 25% restocking fee, plus return shipping almost 50% of the total cost. Even though they know the boards are defective.

Total Scarm - Stay Away from Ultra Deck!

• Kandy Gill
    10 months ago

Is this also an issue with also with Fusion 2.0?

• millworkman
    10 months ago

" Is this also an issue with also with Fusion 2.0? "

If the company marketed the crap product previously and refused to stand behind it, what makes you feel they will produce a higher quality product and or actually stand behind it? I would be very leery of any claims they make were it my deck.

• HU-254575643
    10 months ago

If its Ultra Deck, it is more likely than not going to have the same problems detailed in this thread over the last 15 years. Buyer Beware!

• Kandy Gill
    10 months ago

I was trying to clarify if anyone had issues with “Fusion 2.O” as I see the product line comes in Good,Better and Best. Thanks!

• NLW22
    10 months ago

Kandy, i would go a different vendor all together. Why take the chance? If you do have an issue, you’ll get zero customer service!

• HU-254575643
    10 months ago

Good, Better, Best is a total smokescreen and a fantasy. It’s a marketing gimmick. I fell for it and went with what was supposed to be the Best quality. In reality it was the most expensive mistake I ever made. Ultradeck is crap. Don’t be duped into believing what’s in their glossy brochure. When you have problems, and you will, they will NOT honor the warranty! Period!

• HU-116954659
    10 months ago

worst products i have ever used ,been in the building business fo forty years

• Troy Patterson
    10 months ago

We built a deck using the ultra decking 8 years ago and we have had nothing but problems with it. I wish we had used the Trex decking. The ultra decking only offers a 10 year warranty which tells me the company don't have much confidence in their boards and you should expect to replace boards within 10 years. We have had the deck done 2 different times by 2 different qualified contractors. The boards warp, crack, bubble up and fade. Each time the contractors have made sure it is level all the way across the deck, extra joist boards were added for more support, the joist boards were spaced apart 18 inches on center which is what is recommended and concrete footings were used so it is not sitting directly on the ground. The company wil not stand behind their warranty and when you contact them they blame everything on installation error. So you can't tell me if almost a majority of the people that has used this crap that EVERY contractor is installing it wrong. What does installation have to do with the boards cracking and bubbling up? The company tells me it is non weight bearing and will take shape of what is sitting on it. The only we have sitting on it is a patio table and grill so its not like we have 100 pounds sitting on it. Why offer a warranty at all if you are not going to stand behind what you sell? Stay away from this product!

• User
    10 months ago

All composite decking ever made has these issues, cracking, warping, fading etc. If you look into it almost all companies have had multiple lawsuits against them that make composite decking. Also max spacing on ultradeck is 12” not 18”so good luck with that. Again not defending a crap product, quality cedar or pressure treated decking with a great stain or paint is probably the best way to go Composite decking just seems to be a gimmick no matter how much you spend on what you think is a quality product (this includes all brands)

• Troy Patterson
    10 months ago

That's funny because it was the company that told me the joist boards need to be 18 inches on center. Also both contractors that installed the deck said the same thing.

• User
    10 months ago

Interesting, a simple google search for ultradeck joist spacing says 12” o.c. perhaps they’ve reduced the spacing since so many people were having issues?

• millworkman
    9 months ago

" was the company that told me the joist boards need to be 18 inches on center. "

Never heard of ANY decking grade boards having a recommended 18" OC, wood, composite, anything.

• KSE1964
    8 months ago

How can we get this resolved. We JUST had Ultradeck Fusion installed. Completion of the structured of the deck 10 days ago. PRIOR I told the contractor that there are stains all over the deck that dont go away. Not with rain, or mopping with water nothing. This is brand new!! We paid 3/4 of the project up front. The contractor wants the balance and says he has completed the project. The flooring of the deck looks terrible. This is all over the deck. The contractor states that its a product problem…but he wants his money. He said IF Menards stands by their product warranty he will replace the boards. Again its all over the deck. He would have to build a new deck. Are we wrong in telling the contractor this is not acceptable and we are not paying the balance until this issue is rectified?

• User
    8 months ago

Go talk to the people at menards there’s some type of slip you can fill out to file a warranty claim I think even after the product has been installed

• millworkman
    8 months ago
    last modified: 8 months ago

KSE1964 Did you buy the material or did the contractor supply the whole package?

• KSE1964
    8 months ago

Millworkman The contractor bought all the materials

• millworkman
    8 months ago

" Millworkman The contractor bought all the materials "

Then the contacting the supplier/manufacturer is on him. You bought the completed deck, not the individual product. If he is a true professional contractor this would not even be an issue. If he is as he sounds at this point you may have a huge fight on your hands.

• KSE1964
    8 months ago

Millworkman we thought as much. And thus the fight is on. So stressful that we have to go through this ordeal. Thank you for your input

• KSE1964
    8 months ago

David S. Thank you we did go to Menard’s to fill out the complaint form Because the contractor did not communicate how to rectify the situation

• PRO
    GN Builders L.L.C
    8 months ago

As @millworkman said contractor should take care of it especially if he purchased material through his supplier they will do everything to make it good on it.

• Daniel Kamykowski
    8 months ago

Ultradeck is terrible. John Menard doesn't give a rats ass that his Ultradeck is bad. Do not buy this product. My board are warping and someone can trip and fall and hurt themselves. BTW, John Menards owns the lumber manufacturing business also. The store wipes their hands clean and pushes the problem to the manufacturer. Then the manufacturer can treat you like crap and its not the stores issue anymore.

If we get a CLASS ACTION I'M IN.

• User
    8 months ago

Just use normal wood decking
    ——————————————————

(Wood cedar / treated)

Pros

• Easier to repair

-Can refinish to a different color at a later date

-Has options for hidden fastener (camo is the name I think)

-Stain or paint yourself/ contractor so no issues with finish

-Cheaper than “composite” decking even if you decide to do cedar

-Has a warranty

Cons

-Can rot, split, warp

-Maintenance restaining or sealing
    ——————————————————

(Composite decking “Ultradeck”)

Pros

-according to menards should not split crack or warp (seems like it does do this a lot though)

-pre finished

-Has a warranty

Cons

-Expensive

-Often has issues with finish

-Hard/ impossible to touch up if decking gets scratched or scraped

-Often cracks splits warps (sometimes issue gets resolved)

-Will fade (Color will fade in first month) which makes a replacement board look a different color down the road

-Wood based composite up to 50% real wood
    ——————————————————

Feel free to add any other pros or cons you think missed

• KSE1964
    7 months ago

Update: Received this response from Ultradeck Manufacturer regarding the dirt/stains on our deck. They stated they look like hard water stains. They recommended to use their Deck Composite Cleaner found at Menard’s. If that doesn‘t work it is possible it is the water we are using from our hose and need to try and use an inline water filter on our hose! This deck is less than a month old. These stains were on the deck BEFORE an attempt to clean was done. The contractor used a pressure washer to ”TRY” and rid the stains and was unsuccessful. NOW they are saying its OUR water from our hose? The contractor says it not his fault he wants the balance owed. And Menard’s is gaslighting us! A very expensive lesson learned!!! Research Research companies and products!!!

• HU-254575643
    7 months ago

Well, at least it's a new excuse. First time I've heard they blamed a municipal water supply instead of improper installation. For the life of me, I can't understand why we can't attract a reputable law firm to start a class action lawsuit similar to the one for defective roof shingles. This thread goes back 15 years. In all that time, there must be countless claimants who would join and at least get back a few bucks to cover their losses from this clearly defective product. At the very least, maybe a lawsuit would get Menards to stop selling this crap to an unsuspecting public!

• Joe R
    7 months ago

noticed this whatevenisthis app (grinder?) is some quasi-employed troll , no successful contractor would have the time to troll around random posts often making snarky comments defending crappy manufacturers

• HU-264545142
    6 months ago

We purchased the Fusion 2.0 ultra deck and immediately notice it looked like the dirt ground into the product. It would NOT clean off. we sent pictures which Menards sent to Midwest Manufacturing and even though they didn't deny the product was defective they said they couldn't give us our 3.000 back. DO Not buy this terrible product they do not stand behind the warranty. We won't be giving Menards our future business.

• mjflannery76
    2 months ago

We just gave up the fight with Midwest Manufacturing/Menards to honor the warranty on our 6-year-old deck. We had boards shrinking, fasteners breaking loose and boards coming loose, and someone actually broke through a board. When we filed the claim and sent pictures, the answer, of course, was that the warranty was invalid because due to improper installation. Apparently, they could tell this by a few pictures, without inspecting the deck. When we pushed back and asked them to explain the shrinkage or, if the deck wasn't installed properly, why we weren't having issues with the covered part of the deck (only the part exposed to elements), they had not answer. The just kept saying the warranty is invalid.

I wish I had seen these comments before we installed the deck (on our new house) 6 years ago. I hope others find these before buying. I'm doing all I can to spread the word that this is not a good product, and that Midwest Manufacturing/Menards does not value their customer.

• Denise Landkamer
    last month

Thank you all for your honesty! I will move forward with purchase of composite decking from a reputable company…NOT Menards.

• Diane Freeman
    last month

Good idea. Do NOT ever buy anything from Menards. They do not stand by their warranty and the product is crap.