Return to the Porches & Decks Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Does this sound right? (lanai quote)

Posted by windlassie (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 13, 10 at 13:12

Our house (in Florida) currently doesn't have a lanai. We want to build a pool, but want a lanai that it will join onto. It would be 15' x 40', trussed roof, vinyl beadboard ceiling. There would be 3-4 hollow columns with styrofoam bases and arches between. And it would be wired with electrical outlets for tv, lights, ceiling fans and also for cable tv. I guess they would pour a cement slab. The cost of deck materials and screening is built into the pool builder's quote.

The quote just for the lanai is $30K. This is about double what we expected it to be, but then we didn't really have a basis for our expectation.

Any insight from those more knowledgeable would be appreciated.

Thank you!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Does this sound right? (lanai quote)

I have been to the lanai roof top lounge in Austin

I know about the hawaiian Island

But what exactley are you planing to build. J.

o

la-na-i    [lah-nah-ee, luh-nahy]
noun,plural -na-is. Hawaiian.
a veranda, esp. a fully furnished one used as a living room.

Origin:
1865-70; < Hawaiian lanai roofed structure with open sides, porch

o

It's been awhile since I've posted pictures here - I hope this works.

This is similar to, though far more elaborate than, what we want to do. The pavers would not be included in the $30K, nor the built in bar, fireplace, etc.

We wouldn't have the columns on the sides, just the 3-4 across the front.

http://s153.photobucket.com/albums/s204/Windlassie/?action=view¤t=lanai.jpg

o

Your link did not work. :(

o

I have to side with the Contractor. 30 grand sounds about right not including the extras. Pay the Man he needs it to build something like that. J.

o

I think it is reasonable. I have a screened in lanai under the same roof as the house. It' 62' X 18' and I just had an estimate to have it glassed in - floor to ceiling. The estimate was $14,000.

This picture doesn't give you a good view of the lanai but it's all I have right now.

Photobucket

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Porches & Decks Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here