Return to the Porches & Decks Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Minimum landing size for outswinging patio door?

Posted by katdip (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 7, 08 at 12:47

I am adding a small deck off my breakfast nook - basically a landing for a set of stairs down to my yard. I am planning for the landing to be about 4' x 4', but am wondering what the minimum landing size I need for an outswinging patio door (the breakfast nook is small, so I prefer outswinging to inswinging if possible). I am looking at a standard either 28" or 30" wide door, and it will be set in the corner of the landing(so it can open to just over 90 degrees), and perpendicular to the stair entrance. I can't find in our local code any minimum landing size so people don't get knocked down the stairs when the door swings out.

Any suggestions?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Minimum landing size for outswinging patio door?

I don't know where you live, but the minimum is usually 36" deep from the door to the first step. 4' x 4' would work just fine in my opinion. With the door open to any degree, you would have at least a 2' x 2' space to stand on - much more than my applicable code requires.

o
RE: Minimum landing size for outswinging patio door?

Code is discussed in this the link I posted below, and as juice stated 36" deep is the minimum depth, but the minimum width required is equal to the door width.
Your landing size sounds more than adequate.

Here is a link that might be useful: Exterior Door Landing

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Porches & Decks Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here