Return to the Porches & Decks Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Anyone Go From Screened in to Glass?

Posted by mustangs (My Page) on
Thu, Apr 29, 10 at 12:25

Okay, first I'll vented. I have a 62' x 18' screened lanai (porch). For many years it has opened on to a lovely view of 10 wooded acres with delightful wildlife. Now someone is developing the land with a 5 bedroom 3 1/2 bath two story 5 car garage home!! This home is directly aligned with my house. During the construction I am experiencing a lot of noise and the construction vehicles churn up dust leaving all surfaces of my lanai covered with dirt. I anticipate the noise and dust to continue on a 24/7 basis when the family moves in.

I have asked the enclosure sales person numerous questions but wanted to seek out experiential information. The question is-does anyone have feedback to offer on glassing in the lanai? I am in Florida so I know the importance of ACing the area. Do you have regrets? What would you have done differently? Is it challenging to keep the glass clean?

Thank you.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Anyone Go From Screened in to Glass?

I have glassed in a screened porch with sliding glass thermopane units. These are set on a 24" high knee wall topped with a 10 inch wide plate that makes a good wide sill for a glass or dish. Have had no problem at all. You can open them up easily for air or close them quickly if the rain or dust comes. I dont think they will muffle your noises completely though.

o

Whisper, thanks for taking the time to post your experience.

I keep looking for a home I can actually walk in and get the feeling of a glassed in lanai/porch here in Florida. There doesn't seem to be many out there. I'm going to have to pressure the company to find a customer willing to let me look at their finished project.

o

I am in the process of having my screened porch (located off the master bedroom) enclosed. I am using impact-resistant windows so I won't have to worry about hurricane shutters. I will share pictures if anyone is interested, but it is still a work in progress right now. It will have A/C for sure.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Porches & Decks Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here