Return to the Porches & Decks Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Ipe price rise

Posted by brooklyndecks (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 5, 11 at 11:09

After 3 years of stable prices, my price for Ipe has finally gone up. I've been expecting it, as the dollar has been getting weaker.
My old price for 1x6 was $2.88 per linear foot. new price $3.82. I have some bids out, and I may have to adjust prices on them. What is your price per LF?

steve

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Ipe price rise

Steve
That seems high for 1x6. Bottom line is that all prices for any specie in S America, esp Brazil, Bolivia, Peru have risen and will continue to. Various reasons but all contribute to the increase
George@ Eastteak

o

It is interesting to note the cost of most domestic building materials has decreased over the last couple of years, at least around here. The rise in Ipe has to be a combination of the weakening dollar and the rapid economic growth in Brazil. It certainly isn't because of increased demand or consumption in the US market.

According to my supplier, the Ipe prices went up March 2. The new price is $3.50 for 4/4x6 for a unit, or $3.75 for a small order.

Good heads up, Steve. It's important to be on top of the materials costs when scoping jobs. It looks like I'll be pitching Cumaru or Garapa instead of Ipe, (if anybody even asks.)

The last few deck jobs I looked at, I started talking about prices for a new deck, and the next thing I am explaining to the customer that if they only want the deck repaired to last another year or two, just leave it alone, maybe don't have too many guests out there...save up your money for when you can afford to do it right.

Oh, well. Good thing I have foreclosures to fix. And businesses with tennant turnover. And plenty of facilities that have to last a few more years befor they can afford to build new.

o

I talked to the guy locally - and he said that his new cost will be close to what he is selling his current warehouse full for. He will be raising his price as soon as the first new shipment arrives. Which sounded better than raising it before (like a gas station)

he said that the cost went up for him, citing mainly the dwindling value of the dollar.

o

With me the cost is a little high but the Trucking has gone way over the limit. John

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Porches & Decks Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here