Return to the Porches & Decks Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Ipe vs. Tigerwood

Posted by vettespeed (My Page) on
Sat, Apr 20, 13 at 10:57

My deck is framed and almost ready for decking. Deciding between Ipe and Tigerwood in 1 x 6. What are the differences that would matter, mainly lifespan. I can't get a straight answer from the supplier as they both simply have a 25 year warranty. I will most likely be letting it weather naturally and Tigerwood is described as weathering to a reddish color as opposed to Ipe's silver, can anybody confirm this? Although they are both long lasting products does one outlast the other?
Thanks, Mike.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Ipe vs. Tigerwood

Mike,

Pretty much any Hardwood is going to last you a good 20-30 years if not more. Ipe has been proven over and over a again though to last.. What you want to look for is hardness and density ratings, this is where Ipe excels. The hardness, or should I say the density (they fall hand in hand) is what helps prevent moisture from getting in which causes the wood to soften / rot.

I've never heard of Tiger Wood turning reddish, although I don't have much experience with the species. My guess is it isn't true and that it greys just like every other wood out there.

If you were hoping the wood would turn a reddish color might I suggest Massaranduba which is naturally reddish / brown but will also grey over time.. It's also a very dense strong wood that most retailers like East Teak and efloor.com offer.

Hope I helped

o
RE: Ipe vs. Tigerwood

We went with Tigerwood for our decking, it was finished in November. I was not able to treat it yet due to winter. It is a beautiful deep red/brown when we, but as soon as it dries now it is a pale tan. I believe it will silver with time, but I plan to finish it shortly. In our location the cost of Ipe was significantly higher than Tigerwood.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Porches & Decks Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here