Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
plan_r

Ipe T&G - interior vs. exterior

plan_r
16 years ago

Hi, thanks to everyone who contributes to this extremely helpful forum. I have a chance to pick up some tongue & groove Ipe flooring for a great price (leftovers from friend's project), and I'd like to use it to re-floor my screen porch.

Problem is that it's milled for interior flooring. It's smaller, 3/4 x 3 1/4, and I'm also assuming that the T&G fit might be a little tighter. Probably kiln dried, not air dried. Can I get away with it on the porch if I let it acclimatize outdoors for two and install with gaps (1/16? larger?) to avoid buckling?

I know there are issues with T&G, but it's an old house, and I just don't think deck style flooring would look right. If this doesn't work I'll pay (3-4x as much) for different Ipe, or maybe do painted douglas fir. It's a great deal (about 1,000 lf for $600, more than enough to do 10x20 porch and a smaller entry porch), so hard to say no unless it just wouldn't work. Thank you!

Comments (8)

• john_hyatt
    16 years ago

Man,try it. I would install with construction adhesive, cut a 1/2'' slot in the T every 3' or so, a ss screw with predrill thru the G,just snug up the joint dont jam it.

Any sucuess depends on the condition of the existing frame and cross ventalation. John

• plan_r
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks, John. I assume the slot in the T is for drainage? If so, sounds like a good idea.

The framing will be new, so I'll let PT framing & ipe acclimatize at the same time. Not much cross ventilation--low porch sitting on brick foundation wall, connected to house (& house foundation) along one wall. Need to have work done on piers since one has settled, so guess I'll have to put in some foundation vents when I have the floor off.

• afsa
    16 years ago

I would seal it on all sides( to be exact before installing it as this will help stop the swelling as well

• john_hyatt
    16 years ago

Do....Not...Seal...It...ON...All....Sides..Reread Rule 1

After done Reread Rule 1

For a lot of reasons I dont have time to go into after several years of installing T&G S American lumber.

Plan... its always possible to get Cross Ventalation be sure and do it. One time with a low leval,8"" low, job with T&G ipe in places we used black plastic pipe under the deck tunneled to the outside with a china cap on it placed 4'' or so outside. Belive me on this one its worth all the trouble. In other places on this same project we put screen vents in the skirting and floor vents,same as inside the house,in the decking close to the walls of the house.

The framing has got to be secure, use very solid conectors with the piers/posts,joists on 16'' centers with hangers, no over span what ever it takes dont go over a 7' span with any 2x material.

T&G material is going to through a fit with a very slight amount of movement in the frame where as standard fase fastining will just move with it. But dont let its moods scare you off!!! its total possible to use that material exposed to the weather you just have to pay attention to Detail.
    Leting the frame dry out as well as the ipe material adjust to the local is a good idea.

Go Get Em Bro!!! J.

• dtmcgill59
    13 years ago

I'm tagging on to these same questions....looking to install T&G Ipe in a screened porch. Porch is inclosed with half walls all the way around. Little to no direct moisture with the exception of annual cleaning with light pressure power washing. My question is that the floor is currently PT exterior plywood. Is it possible to install the Ipe direct to plywood or is ventilation under the Ipe a necessity?

• john_hyatt
    13 years ago

Do Not Do That. J.

• puzzled_1025
    13 years ago

I'm thinking of installing IPE T&G on my front porch that is exposed, but with a roof. Base of porch is concrete walls with pressure treated joists. How much pitch would be needed over a 5'D area? Any other suggestions?

• john_hyatt
    13 years ago

What is a 5 d area.

No fall is needed. J.