Return to the Porches & Decks Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
replacing the ' skirt 'of a front porch

Posted by bentap (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 22, 12 at 10:26

I need to replace the skirting of my front porch. builder and original owner did not use pressure treated wood, put mulch and dirt right up to bottom of skirt and no gutters... ergo a problem

I have added gutters,moved much away and am trying to decide whether
" plastic wood" would be the best choice? I live in southern coastal Maine...so weather is a factor. I would also like to eventually paint the house and trim...
Thanks for your suggestions and recommendations

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: replacing the ' skirt 'of a front porch

Here's how I built ours. Obviously mulch is not an issue but your replacement can be constructed off-the-ground to accommodate clearance.

Personally I fear warpage with pressure treated. This is cedar, parts stained before assembly (cedar doesn't accept paint well).

Hope this helps.

Egress Porch, Another View

o

We used brick instead of any kind of wood. The mason dug a small footer of about 8 inches and the wall is just one brick deep. It's not load bearing,obviously, but it makes the decking look more permanent. You could use stone, particularly something that's native to your part of the country.

o

Thanks to kswl and fnmroberts....the pictures help a lot. @fmnroberts..what are the two openings at either end...are they for ventilation or do they serve another purpose??

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Porches & Decks Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here