Return to the Porches & Decks Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
cupping worse for 1X6 than 5/4X6???

Posted by jaansu (My Page) on
Sat, Apr 14, 12 at 10:19

I see a lot of posts about cupping. I'm thinking of putting down a new ipe or massaranduba deck of 6" boards. Yes, 5/4 is more $$$$ than 1" but I'm willing to pay the extra $600 if that gives more chance of a good deck. Maybe 4" width would be even better but what about the 6" width lumber?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: cupping worse for 1X6 than 5/4X6???

Cupping usually is a result of boards being laid down improperly.

o

Cupping is caused by tension in the wood fibers. If the tension on the fibers on the bottom of the wood is greater than that on top, the wood will cup. Straight grain wood is less likly to cup. If you look at the end grain and the curved rings are as if you are looking at hills (as apposed to valleys), cut several 1/8th slits down the length of the board bottom to relieve the tension and the board should not cup.

o

That's an interesting solution! So the newer rings (hills) go up? In general, is that how decking is supposed to be laid anyway?

o

yes, when using most softwood deckings that is the proper way of applying the decking

o

With Ipe, it doesn't matter which side of the board goes up. I pick the nicer side. If you have proper ventilation under your deck, and you install it correctly, you shouldn't have any cupping problems.
That said, 5/4x6 is less prone to cupping than 1x6...and 5/4x4 even less.

steve

o

Very true brooklyn I should have added that to go with my "softwood" comment as Ipe is definitely not a softwood.

o

Nobody will ever accuse Ipe of being soft wood :-)

steve

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Porches & Decks Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here