Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
batkc_gw

Deck mat on Ipe deck?

batkc
13 years ago

I've searched the forums here and haven't found anyone's opinion on this, so here goes.

I live in Kansas City, by the way. I put in a new Cumaru & Ipe deck last fall and since Spring is here, I have started grilling and smoking on my brand new deck. To avoid stains can I put down a grill mat? Will it hurt the deck (i.e. trap moisture)? What kind to use, I've seen rubber mats and fibre-cement mats?

Comments (4)

• bearHit
    13 years ago

I tried one from Costco that was supposed to be deck safe- now I have squeaky boards where it was - and it lives in the garage now

• john_hyatt
    13 years ago

Really with any South American decking the only effect will be weathering differentley, that is under the mat will be a different color because it blocked from the Sun.

Other than that no problem. J.

• batkc
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hey thanks for the responses.

I've decided to install a small concrete pad next to the deck and build a platform (the elevation of the deck at this point is under 24 inches and won't impede airflow under the deck) to permanently house the smoker and grill. It'll be kind of like an outdoor kitchen.

Thanks again,
    Bryan

• weedyg
    13 years ago

Bryan, I dont mean to divert your thread. I am getting ready to build an Ipe or Tigerwood deck in Raymore, MO. I have a few questions would you mind speaking to me off line. My email is bgarcya at hotmail.com. Thanks
    Brandon