Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sojay_gw

Converting screen porch to sunroom during winter

sojay
13 years ago

I'm planning to convert my screened porch into a 3-season sun porch for the winter months.

I plan on using lexan polycarbonate sheets attached w velco so they can easily be removed come spring. Any thoughts or suggestions?

I went to HD, got a small sample sheet to experiment with. Looks very clear - nice!

Also got some Velcro. I'm thinking of using the sticky back type tape with the loop side, glued to the inside of the posts (close to the mosquito screen, perpendicular to the screens), in 1/2" width. Then a strip of the same loop sticky back on the edges of each sheet. Then I'd take a strip of double sided Velcro tape in a 1" width, fold it lengthwise so the hook side is half on the loop tape on the posts, half on the tape on the lexan sheets.

I don't want to glue the hook tape directly on the sheets for several reasons:

I'd have to mount the sheets on the outside of the posts (meaning the side facing the room). Aesthetics, and that would also require more lexan.

If the hook tape is not glued on, I just have to pull one end and strip it off, and roll it up for storage. The hook side won't pick up as much dirt during storage as if I stored the panels with the hook tape on in my dirty shed, and I wouldn't have to flex the panels to detach them.

Do you think that this is a good solution?

How well does Lexan hold up over the years? Is it really as clear as a window? I don't want to ruin my view from inside with anyhing murky. I've looked high and low online about simar setups to no avail, except in general terms.Â

The porch is exposed to wind and there's no roof overhang.

The mosquito screens are 'permanently' attached, although I'm due for a rescreening soon.

I've found info on using lexan sheets w Velcro for storm windows and imroving insulation, but they were mostly attached with just small strips of Velcro here and there, not continuous tape all around. I'm wondering if it is overkill. The Velcro budget alone is close to $200. Haven't got the lexan budgeted out in detail, but I'm estimating $2500. It's a 3- sided porch with 100" tall openings, so the sheets have to be cut from very large sheets. Would be a lot cheaper had there been knee walls. Â

Comments (11)

• john_hyatt
    13 years ago

Good place for Lexan pannels www.sundancesupply.com

I dont give your idea much chance of holding up during a wind storm , driving rain or hot sun. Lexan desplays a lot of movement with weather changes so the install has to allow for that.

If your dead set on doing it have frames built for the lexan fasten with screws being carefull / a lot of care to allow them to be backed off durning removal.
    John Hyatt www.deckmastersllc.com

• sojay
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks, I appreciate your warnings - that's exactly the reason i posted, I don't want to go into this naively. But what is it you don't think will hold up? The glue backing on the Velcro or the velcro's strength? The glue is rated industrial strength and rated for outdoors, wet resistent etc. The surface I'd glue it onto is smooth aluminum. Maybe I'd need a wider strip of Velcro. 1" instead of 1/2".

• john_hyatt
    13 years ago

Forget it Girl....by the time you went thru all of that ....
    A. Your costs will be higher

B. Your project will blow away,leak like a sob, look silly and be hard to store.

C. Not have the value ratio you want.

J.

• shiane
    13 years ago

We are ordering 1/8" acrylic sheets, cut to size by a local company, for our small screened porch to make it a 3 season room. After doing the research we learned that lexan will yellow because of the UV rays. The acrylic panels will be about 1 inch larger on all sides than the screens. The acrylic sheets will be installed using butterfly clips on the outside of the screens. We had our contractor put a removable panel on one side of the porch crawlspace and we installed indoor/outdoor carpet on top of weed cloth that we placed right over the dirt in order to have a safe place to store the acrylic panels during the summer months. Our enclosed porch has Lockdry waterproof aluminum decking so the the carpet and acrylic panels will stay dry while being stored.

• KEVIN
    8 years ago

So glad to read these posts as now, in 2015, we are facing the exact situation. We have large arches on both sides of our outdoor fireplace and need windbreaks in the winter. We are not concerned about having some air leakage. Our arches are 102 inches at the top and 70 inches wide. The clear plastic tarps that we have used for the past two winters have worked OK, but since we live on a golf course they do not offer the aesthetic look we are seeking. We considered adding some sort of folding doors, but want to preserve our view. We live in Houston, so will have these up from around mid-November through mid-March. Can anyone provide any updates to this conversation? Thanks in advance for any information that you can provide.

• am429
    8 years ago

We are in the process of making pvc frames for our screened in porch and using 40 guage eisen glass for the plastic. We are stapling it to the pvc frame with stainless steel staples. Will bolt it on screen frames with stainless steel bolts to be removed in the spring and summer. So far it looks good. Will let you know how it worked out after we went through the winter months!

• csellers61
    8 years ago

I am wanting to make my screened porch warm enough in the winter to be comfortable, high 40s or low 50s. Will this be possible with polycarbonate you mentioned? If not is there something that would make it those temperatures.

Thank you

• dawnknapp
    8 years ago

Look at this links on this page for some solutions:

http://ths.gardenweb.com/discussions/2536797/eze-breeze-windowsdo-you-like-them

• joan_kimmett1
    6 years ago

I am trying to put much larger windos and screens in my add a room porch. It is made up of vinyl panels. What is involved in cutting larger sections out and will it work. Thanks

• Dan D
    4 months ago
    last modified: 4 months ago

We put actual glass in ours. So glad we skipped on vinyl panels. They scratch and dull in time. Not windows. And a local glass company was almost the same price and delivered!

We are not trying to winterize our deck though. We are in Washington State and that would cost way more than we can afford. We used some boat carpe for the floors, kept the carpet 3 feet in from all sides so it doesn't take on water from the 1/2 inch gap under the sides. We did have to insulate and enclose the tin roof above with tongue and groove so it doesn't get condesation. If you are building, make sure you use real roofing, not tin roof. They condensate big time. That was our one big mistake.

We can store stuff out there, as long as we keep them in plastic bins. Nothing cardboard will last.

Even though the dirt under the deck has a vapor barrier and we have rain gutters, it's not enough. For air flow we put in 3 large windows that are nothing but wooden blinds.

I don't have pics of the tongue and groove yet. Besides a bit of moisture in the air, it's still pretty nice out there. We are going to get a propane heater out there. That will do it for us.