Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tom_nwnj

Cedar Fence posts

tom_nwnj
18 years ago

Hi,

I am getting ready to make a cedar fence for the veg. garden. I am going to stain all components before installing.

We have a lot of rock and ledge here, so most of the fence posts will only be about 24" deep. If I set them in concrete, I understand that they will be more stable. But if I set them in gravel or dirt, they will last longer.

Which is the right way to do it? Any opinions?

TIA

Comments (13)

• john_hyatt
    18 years ago

Most alwyas its not a good idea to use cedar as fence posts, but if your set on it go ahead and set the posts in cret, use 6'' copper flat stock and wrap the area of the posts where the posts meet the creet. John

• tom_nwnj
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Hi John,

What kind of post material do you like?

• john_hyatt
    18 years ago

Preasure Treated .40 J

• tom_nwnj
    Original Author
    18 years ago

For this project I need stable material (minimal warp, minimum twist). The fence will look

Although the $$s are more, I think I'll go all cedar.

Thanks for the ideas!

• john_hyatt
    18 years ago

those are pt posts. J

• tom_nwnj
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Yes, you are correct, that is PI. I hadn't noticed. I was only looking at the design and proportions.

I have made garden structures before (trellises, pergolas) with tight joinery, {{!gwi}}.

The PI is just way too wild, twists, warps etc. I think the large growth rings make it erratic.

BTW, are you serious about wrapping the posts in copper? What does that accomplish?

My plan at this point is to put 2" of gravel in bottom of each post hole, drop in the post, then fill with crete.

• john_hyatt
    18 years ago

I use pt posts then wrap them in cedar that way you get the strength and life from pt with none of the movement problems.Not to wrap the whole post in copper just the area where it meets the creet say 6'' copper flat stock half in the creet and half out installed with copper nails. This is a very old trick the more it leaches the more protection you get thus the reason for all the copper in acq treated lumber.J

• john_hyatt
    18 years ago

Side Note>>> the gravel thing, forget it .40 pt is made for ground contact, cedar is going to go with or with out it probley at the contact point of the ground, but protected with the copper wrap it just might make it a while. J

• tom_nwnj
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I'm trying to visualize that, is this what you mean?

And where do you buy copper sheet/copper nails?

TIA

• tom_nwnj
    Original Author
    18 years ago

BTW, I see your website. Very nice stuff.

Thanks

Tom Fischer

• john_hyatt
    18 years ago

Yup,thats how its done, the copper would be a little lower in the creet.Just look in the phone book a lot of sheet metal guys carry copper I use a outfit that makes standing seam copper roof. John

• tom_nwnj
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Hi John,

Sorry to keep dragging this thread on, but I want to get this right.

I went to one of the box stores, and the guy who knows about fences agreed about the copper flashing. They stock it, for that reason.

But he also suggested this design: not putting the cedar into the concrete at all, but use a nickel plated fastening system, "J-Bolt" plus connecting hardware to the cedar posts. Here's my drawing:

http://users.tellurian.net/tom/fence/J_Bolt_post.htm

Your comments are most valued.

Thanks In Advance

tf

• tom_nwnj
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Here are pics of the fence.

I hired a contractor to install the posts (we're talking a very big fence post drill), and a landscaper to finish grade it to level.

I have also added 5K volt deer fencing (not shown in the pics)

Thanks for all the help!

Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz