Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
stubits

Ceiling Fan Installation for Pergola and general lighting

stubits
14 years ago

When the weather begins to warm up a bit I would like to build a deck with an integrated pergola. This will be part of a larger project and the plans have been produced by an architect. We would like to install a ceiling fan into the pergola, but that it turning out to be more complicated than I had anticipated.

There are many UL wet location listed fans available, and of course we'll wire the deck with either UF rated cable or THNN/THWN running through conduit, but what I cannot figure out is what sort of electrical box to use and as such, how to attach the fan the to pergola rafter.

Am I missing something? Are their wet located listed fan boxes? Can I build out a box around the rafter to protect the junction box/connections and then use a pancake box? I know it has been done, I just don't know how people pull it off. Has anyone done this before and if so, how?

Also, would love some thought on the use of pendant lights on pergolas. Can they look good? How high of a "ceiling" do you need for it to work right?

Comment (1)