Return to the Porches & Decks Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
most 'natural' looking man made railing system--white color?

Posted by dsommerl (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 14, 10 at 8:01

Am re skinning my deck--including a "maintenance free" railing system.
Deck is attached to a frame house painted all white. Decing will be wood (cedar or Ipe).
Would like opinions on which brand or railing looks most like white painted wood (vs shiny--syntheric looks)

Also--doing the skirt boards and lattice in white. So, I'll add---what brand also supplies these trim pieces?---I'd like all the whites to match

thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: most 'natural' looking man made railing system--white color?

HB&G Columns makes a cellular PVC product called Permaporch that is the most natural I have found. I looked at a lot when I had my deck built and the composites and vinyls all had that shiny, flimsy plastic look. The balusters are solid not hollow and the posts are reinforced with aluminum I-beams. My deck is now 4 years old and after a little soap and pressure washing the railing looks like it did the day it was installed. Here is a pic from when the deck was installed:

Photobucket

Photobucket

o
Forgot to mention

My fascia and stair risers are made from Azek and they are a perfect match. I think it's basically the exact same material

Photobucket

Photobucket

o

scotte
sensational lead.

How is this stytem priced vs the "big" names (Timbertech radiance rail--Azek etc)

o

I don't recall specifics, but the price of the Permaporch railing is higher then other railing systems. It's a premium product but you do get what you pay for. If you can fit it in your budget or you are on the fence about your decision get a sample from your lumber yard. I had samples from Timbertech and a few others, and when compared next to each other you will see a big difference in weight and aesthetics. My wife hated the "shiny" look of all the other systems. Permaporch posts and balusters are also wider giving a more solid feel.

o

Scotte
what is you decking material?

o

Ipe prior to being stained

o

Scotte, really impressed with your choices. How did you attach the balusters to the top rail? The PermaPorch diagrams all show a top rail insert (aluminum or wood) that the balusters go into. Did you have to carve out the Ipe handrail to fit onto it?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Porches & Decks Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here