Return to the Porches & Decks Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
HELP- Putting up a covered porch

Posted by jennybog (My Page) on
Sat, Apr 14, 12 at 7:46

We are putting on a covered back porch on the back of a old new england farm house. It will be open on 2 sides the other two sides will be one on the back of a cape and the side will be attached to another antique cape.My ?'s- we have vinyl siding at the moment on both. We are going to clap board both down the road. Should we do this area before we put porch on?
Also there is a door we would like to remove should we do it now or could we wait until later if we put clap on.Also we would like a door put on in a differant location coming out of the side cape. Now or later.Thank you

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: HELP- Putting up a covered porch

Without a better description and/or pictures and some sort of details no one will be able to answer those questions.

o
RE: HELP- Putting up a covered porch

I am a bit confused about what you are saying. Is it actually three separate structures you are trying to join with a porch?

I'm not a pro, and have no construction experience, but I just added a covered porch on the back of my cape. It abutts the house on 2 sides and is open on 2 sides. We did our siding at the same time. Our house also has brick on part of the downstairs. My GC recommended we cut the brick for a larger door before we installed the Ipe deck boards. Reason being, the brick could scratch the decking.

I think you can change doors when you do the siding if its clap. We used hardie board in light grey with white trim. Looks great with the Ipe.

Good luck!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Porches & Decks Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here