Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
czecheart

please...pine pergola and ? paint

czecheart
12 years ago

Contract originally called for smooth cedar ... carpenters later told me that untreated pine would be best for our over the garage pergolas because they said I was planning to paint them and pine was better than cedar when painted, they said treated pine would be too heavy for pergolas hanging over the garage. They said once painted untreated pine would last as long as cedar. They did a beautiful job building the pergolas. The pergolas look nice, they are heavy duty. Now as I research finishing them , I have pangs of regret for trusting the carpenters and agreeing to the untreated pine.It appears the people have trouble keeping all types of wood but untreated pine will not last. Now feeling like they were trying to save money rather than think what is best, I feel cheated.

Big question...what are the best products regardless of cost you can recommend for coating pergolas which hang over the garage (no beams to the ground) ? I want the final look to be solid white. I want to make them last as long as possible. We have Chicago type weather.

I've been looking at everything from onetime discussed in this forum years ago ( very expensive)don't know if it is suitable for overcoating with white paint or stain , farm and fence paint ( very cheap)- stretches like rubber, us coatings polymer paint and primer, exotic wood sealer which can be painted over.

PLEASE ADVISE...

Thanks

Comments (4)