Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
newhomeowner2011a

Tore out old deck this weekend - found this - now what???

newhomeowner2011a
11 years ago

We tore out the old deck that was 3 steps high last weekend since we are planning to seal off the old backdoor and overhang that used to lead out to the deck.

We started digging around today and found this concrete pathway.

Wanted to build some sort of paver patio from garage (where there will be a fence/gate) past the new backdoor and then spread out (somewhere) so that we could have a table/chair/grill set up. We have a boxy house so was advised to keep edges of patio rounded, if possible.

Would like to maximize space with grass as much as possible since we have a postage stamp as a backyard (and we have small children).

Knew old broken concrete step existed before demo began and thought if too hard to break apart, could always cover with raised garden bed (right?).

Did NOT expect concrete walkway and now trying to decide how to do the patio - work with the concrete path, pay to demo or cover with stepping stones?

Any suggestions on layout of the patio? I can provide a diagram if that helps...

Pics - http://photobucket.com/backyardlandscaping d

Also, *IF* price was not an issue, with the white stucco house, yellow door and brown stained steps, do you like the brown brick pavers (that used to line the deck) or think grey cobblestone would look nicer?

Comments (7)

• weedyacres
    11 years ago

Please post your pics in the thread. Just click on the "html code" box when you hover over the photo and paste it into the body of your message here.

• cearbhaill (zone 6b Eastern Kentucky)
    11 years ago

Link's busted as well.

• newhomeowner2011a
    Original Author
    11 years ago

• aidan_m
    11 years ago

Yellow door is cute.

You have an opportunity to gain experience with a jackhammer, or demolition hammer.

For a small unreinforced slab of less than 6" thick, electric tools will be fine. Pneumetic hammers are WAY more powerful, but that is overkill for you.

Look at a Hilti demolition hammer for rent The Hilti TE905 would work great. The Bosch jackhammer is commonly available fro rent, but I would choose the Hilti. Bosch is heavy, slow, and weak. Either way, if you rent one for a day, the concrete will be a goner.

• newhomeowner2011a
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Paid $300 today for a Bob Cat to come in - he was already going to be in the neighborhood so he said he'd cut me a deal (no charge for bringing the truck out...) - the "show" I think was well worth it (seriously, who knew concrete excavation could be so entertaining?) but knowing it would cost $50-70 for the jackhammer rental for the day and my husband has a slipped disk in his back, also helped us decide to hire it out. The guy we worked with was SUPER nice too which always helps :-) I'm not sure how big of a "deal" it was but it was well worth it to us - job done! ;)

Attached is a pic of the largest footing (I had NO idea they could be so big given our deck wasn't that large...) as well as part of the stairs that they ripped out.

Thanks for your response - I appreciate the information!

• weedyacres
    11 years ago

In retrospect the Bobcat was definitely the right choice! Who'd have guessed they put such solid footings in? It's not the biggest they make (some of ours are 24" diameter and 3' deep on our deck), but way too much work to do by hand.

BTW, I like gray pavers with your white house and yellow door, but I also think what you've got is just fine.

Make sure to post photos of your project!

• aidan_m
    11 years ago

That pier is done correctly. Look at the base of the concrete, see how it mushrooms out? That is important to prevent frost heave. The mushroom part can't heave up through the frozen layer of ground above, it's too big, and the frozen ground is too hard to break through. It's not the diameter or mass of the pier that resists frost heave. It's the shape and depth of the footing.

A straight pier can slip up through the hole in the frozen layer of topsoil. That is why I tell everyone to dig a deeper, wider base, and then lift the sonotube up several inches from the bottom of the hole