Return to the Porches & Decks Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How to Replace Board in Deck with Invisible Fasteners?

Posted by kswl (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 20, 14 at 0:34

Our almost four year old deck was constructed of kiln dried, planed, clear quality pine boards using tiger claw brand invisible fasteners. One-- and only one-- of the boards has split and is trying to twist. We need to replace it and do not want the original deck builder to do this. He had never used the fasteners and told me very frankly that if anything went wrong it couldn't be fixed. Is that true? I understand how the fasteners work, but isn't it possible to pull one board out and replace it with screws? Unfortunately this board is right in the middle if the deck. Has anyone had experience with replacing a board in a deck constructed this way? Thanks in advance for your replies and experience!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How to Replace Board in Deck with Invisible Fasteners?

4th video down, very easy Google search.

Here is a link that might be useful: Tiger Claw Installation Videos

o

Thank you millworkman, I am embarrassed that I did not even google for a video, but the deck contractor seemed so sure that it couldn't be done that I was hoping for anecdotes from people who had come up with a way to repair it on their own.

I am relieved to know that it can be done and thank you VERY much for your help.

o

Follow up and a shout out to Millworkman: our handy guy came down and followed the instructions in the video and the twisted board is now a dim memory!

Again, appreciate your help. These deck boards were $36 each (kiln dried, clear, planed on all sides) so we did not want to experiment and the original deck builder was unwilling to even try to replace the board.

Many thanks to Millworkman!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Porches & Decks Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here