Return to the Porches & Decks Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Pavers Over Concrete Stairs (that are crumbling)?

Posted by newhomeowner2011a (My Page) on
Thu, Mar 29, 12 at 23:51

Hi,

We have concrete stairs in the front of our Minnesota home and we've had two concrete folks out to give us estimates and they said they are not able to be repaired (or "raised") but instead need to be replaced.
The quotes came back a lot higher than we had hoped and since we have a white stucco home, we don't think wood steps will work (it isn't a siding craftsman house is what I mean so I'm not sure it fits with the style of our house to do this alternative).

Do y'all have any suggestions for alternatives to replacing all of the steps? Can we put brick or other pavers over them?

Condition - one step on the right side has a big chunk that has fallen off. On the top left side, just the top part of the step has flaked off. Can we patch and then either paint them grey (to look like newer concrete) or cover them with pavers? Does anyone have any pictures of where this has been done?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions or pictures you have to share!!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Pavers Over Concrete Stairs (that are crumbling)?

If we had to jackhammer the steps away b/c there is no alternative to covering them, do y'all know anything about precast concrete steps? Is it rec'd over solid concrete steps and is there a price difference?

o
RE: Pavers Over Concrete Stairs (that are crumbling)?

Hey Guys!

I'm in Fargo, ND, so I know your weather/situation!

Call some bigger lumberyards, etc, for precast prices/sizes.
* The base will have to be properly prepared, leveled, etc.
* Drainage AWAY from the home/steps needs to be considered too.
* The base should be tamped FIRM, and probably on a sand base, so moisture wicks away from the steps.
* You CANNOT just plunk the steps down on the dirt, or you're just asking for trouble!

Faron

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Porches & Decks Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here