Return to the Porches & Decks Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Extending deck with gravel patio and fire pit....ideas?

Posted by rhizzlebop (My Page) on
Wed, Mar 10, 10 at 22:28

I'm gonna attach a few pics of what I have. I built this deck last year and am now thinking of building a gravel area encompassing thewhole area in front of the deck from the left end of the small section over to the outer edge of the gazebo.

I want to build a fire pit out front in the gravel.

Grass wont grow well in among the trees you see in the pic but I don't wanna cut them due to the shade they give.

So, I thought about doing a gorgeous decomposed granite patio area there like they build on YardCrashers. The problem is, South Carolina they don't know what decomposed granite is. They call it crush n run. and its all grey in color and pretty ugly. Not the nice beige or brown patio color they show on TV.

I am considering maybe a nice smooth river rock, but you can't pac it and firm it up at all.

Someone suggested a base layer of sand and lime, then river rock, then a bit more sand and lime on top,( let it filter through) and then wet it to form lime mortar to semi bond the river rock kind of solidly.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Extending deck with gravel patio and fire pit....ideas?

There just doesn't seem to be any action on this forum.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Porches & Decks Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here