Return to the Porches & Decks Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Cheap DIY Deck or Patio

Posted by saphire (My Page) on
Fri, Mar 9, 07 at 21:34

I would like to put in a really cheap and easy deck so I have something to put a table and some chairs and a lounge chair. My backyard is relatively flat although there is a minor slope (you only notice it if you are trying to install something). I am less worried about the slope since I am willing to fill that in, I just do not want it to look really awful and cheap. I am neither handy nor strong so am not looking for a major project. Any one use Flat Rock pavers? Essentially plastic made to look like pavers?

Can anyone suggest anything similar or better but not expensive? we may be expanding the house or moving so I do not want to make a major commitment

Here is a link that might be useful: Resin Pavers

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Cheap DIY Deck or Patio

Level it with cement and/or sand and lay bricks, pavers, or stone of your choice. Use the biggest ones you can handle so there will be fewer gaps. Add some moss or other low ground cover in the spaces or grout for a more finished look.

o

I think I saw something fairly recently in Sunset magazine that might give you some quickie patio ideas. Check in the "Garden" area for "23 backyard projects" or something like that.

Here is a link that might be useful: Sunset magazine

o

If you want low maintenance, a deck in my opinion is not the way to go.

We tore ours down and installed a paver patio for that very reason. Love it and should have done it sooner.

Deck maintenance is costly in time & money if you live in a climate of extreme temps in both directions.

o

This is a good site which tells you how to build your own patio. This site also offers some good tips about how to prolong the life of your patio by adding an awning or a cover to your patio.

Here is a link that might be useful: Do-it-yourself patio construction

o
DIY Patio

This is a good site which tells you how to build your own patio. This site also offers some good tips about how to prolong the life of your patio by adding an awning or a cover to your patio.

Here is a link that might be useful: Do-it-yourself patio construction

o

Couple things you left out: 1) what you mean by "not expensive", and 2) roughly the size of the deck/patio that you think you need/want.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Porches & Decks Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here