Return to the Porches & Decks Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
what's wrong with pressure treated pine?

Posted by scrappy25 (My Page) on
Tue, Mar 12, 13 at 19:41

We've had a PT pine deck for 18 years, have it cleaned and retreated every other year (average $400 every other year, total $3600 maintenance over that 18 years). We are planning an addition and need to take down this old deck and build a new one. The contractor said that composite decking would be 4x the cost of PT pine. My original deck 18 years ago was $6400 cost. My maintenance costs are only 60 percent of the original cost of the deck over the lifespan. So why should I go for composite decking if I have been happy with the PT pine? It does get a little ratty by the 2nd year but the maintenance cleaning and upkeep seems to bring it back to life.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: what's wrong with pressure treated pine?

There is nothing "wrong" with using pressure treated pine. It can be aesthetically not pleasing without upkeep and maintenance, but you seem to be fine with that so no reason you cannot use the same type material again. I would suggest just making sure the top decking is a Premium or at least No. 1 grade.

o

thanks millworkman. I did a search on it in this forum and there is very little, doesn't seem like anyone uses PT pine anymore, yet the composites still seem to need maintenance. . I am fortunate that I have had the same company all these years doing the maintenance so that the effort is minimal on my part.

o

There's not much on these forums because GW users tend to be above-average in their spending on home projects. PT is a perfectly good option for decks if you are comfortable with the aesthetics and the maintenance.

I built a garapa deck, and it requires maintenance too. It's worth it to me because it's gorgeous, and we needed to match the style/price range of our house. But PT is a perfectly good decking material.

o

It all depends on the source of the lumber.

I usually ask for no.1 select structural pressure treated, and buy through my ordinary supplier.

For anything that will contact the earth, you should get PT with a minimum of 0.40 pcf of chemical treatment. Look at the tag on the end of the board, it will tell you the type of chemical and the quantity used in pounds per cubic foot. (pcf)

Also, while you're looking at the end of the board, is a good time to select wood cut from trees with tighter growth rings. Large growth rings equal low quality lumber.

o

thanks everyone for the advice, I'll make sure we get no 1 select and ask for the tighter growth rings!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Porches & Decks Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here