Return to the Porches & Decks Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
composite deck improperly installed

Posted by gopcs (My Page) on
Tue, Mar 12, 13 at 18:15

My neighbor moved in recently. A former owner had installed composite decking himself, and failed to leave any gaps between the boards. They are pressed right up against each other just as if it was a hardwood floor. Over time, they are buckling, and water cannot get through, some runs into the house during heavy rain.

I volunteered to help him repair the deck. The plan was to remove the screws (square-head, double threads and they do not want to budge). Then we were going to reset the boards with the proper spacing on the sides and at the ends. He got impatient, and started ripping the boards up from the joists. I told him to wait...

Someone else said to take a saw, and run it down the joints, leaving a gap the width of the saw blade. I tried this, and the blade overheated and warped. As it cooled, the blade straightened back out flat. So that is not an option right now.

Another person said to get a "wide-blade" for the saw, and try the same procedure again. Any suggestions on finding a "wide-blade"? Even if the wide-blade did work, it wouldn't help the ends of the boards where they butt-up against the next board. Seems that some would have to be pulled up to shorten the boards by 3/16" or so.

Anyone had this problem and found a solution? Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: composite deck improperly installed

Did you try using an impact driver to remove the screws? That tool might provide sufficient torque to break the screws loose.

Most circular saw blades today are what are call "thin kerf" and are designed to remove a bit less material making it easier on the saw. That's not an advantage in what you're trying to do, although I don't know who make "full kerf" blades these days. The solution may be multiple passes, with an increasing depth of cut. You'll probably need to try a couple of different blade/tooth designs as well, although my gut reaction is to start with a rip blade - one with as few a teeth as possible. A Teflon coated blade might make some sense as well.

As for the ends of the boards, use a router with a straight cutting bit. You'll need to take multiple passes and a jig of some sort might be useful to keep you from hitting the adjacent boards.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Porches & Decks Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here