Return to the Porches & Decks Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Retractable Awning? DIY?

Posted by brigittatony (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 16, 09 at 18:08

Does anyone have any experience making their own retractable patio covers? I would like to put retractable awnings on my patio (I have an existing wood arbor). I like this style that ShadeTree makes:

http://www.shadetreecanopies.com/catalog2/shadetree-thanks-fabrics.asp

It seems like they would be pretty easy to make. I'm assuming you could make a track out of heavy wire and then get sunbrella fabric and use dowels... But, I would love to know if anyone has tried this themselves or seen diy directions posted anywhere? Thanks so much!

Here is a link that might be useful: ShadeTree Canopies

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Retractable Awning? DIY?

Believe it or not it is easier to build a DIY permanent awning than it is to build a retractable one that works as smoothly as a store bought kit. Also, I think you will find that you will end up spending more on the supplies to build it than you will on purchasing one. I have a strong DIY streak in me so I hate to rain on your DIY parade but this is a situation where you might do better to buy.

o

I really have my heart set on a retractable awning since I don't want the inside of my house to be shaded all the time. But, since I live in a very hot area, I do need something to shade the house during the sweltering summer months.

o

We've had a shade tree canopy for 2 years and love it. Sunbrella is a good quality outdoor fabric. Water doesn not seep through the fabric. The fact that it comes in sections allows longer projections and flexible installation - yes, rain will fall beteen the panels if left open in the rain. So if you want to sit outside in the rain that is not a good choice. One thing I like about them is that they will disengage in wind if you happen to leave it open and storm kicks up, which happend to us about a month a go. 70 mph winds and the canopies were fine.

Landscapers - it sounds like your complaints about the shadetree canopies are that it did not fit your desired application, which is your fault for selecting the wrong product if it was not acceptable. We've been very happy with ours, but it may not be for everyone.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Porches & Decks Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here