Return to the Porches & Decks Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
3 season versus 4 season sunroom

Posted by michele325 (My Page) on
Thu, Mar 18, 10 at 18:06

I can't decide if the extra cost is worth it ($4-6000). Neither one will have heat or air. We are in Michigan though, where it is cold! I am looking for something that makes us feel outside to eat, etc in the summer but without bugs and I would like to use it more than a screened porch. It will be in the back of my family room though (3 very large windows) with 1 single door out to it. So it will very much be outside. I know it is such a person decision with how you will use it, etc, but any insight will be great. It will be 12X18 and I am hoping to get a round table and a sitting area out there. Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: 3 season versus 4 season sunroom

Well I get this question so often. I think if you want a four season room then just build an addition and get it over with. I live in the Northeast and I love my porch, but I really can't use it in the winter. But thru the Spring, Summer and Fall its' just great. Thats where I read my Sunday paper! Where I fall asleep or hang around with my kids.
In late fall, when it really starts getting cold, we close it up for the winter. The three seasons we get out of it each year is something we look forwar to opening is the Spring. Can't you give up that one season!
In my opinion a four season room is just another room added to the home. But the screen porch, oh - the breeze.

Here is a link that might be useful: My Album

o

I have a 4 season, all glass sunroom off of my kitchen. It looks great, but I'm taking it down to build a new addition. In the summer, it is too hot-a window a/c doesn't cut it, and in the winter it gets very cold, need kerosene heater to supplement. Because it is open to the rest of my house, it makes for heating and cooling very difficult, very inefficient.

o

I guess I am confused but I though a 4 season porch is just a 3 season plus heat and AC enabling you to use it year round?

In the OP's original message it says no heat or AC so I am not sure how this becomes a four season porch???

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Porches & Decks Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here