Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
remodelzombie_gw

Vekadeck Pro Decking and Railing

remodelzombie
15 years ago

My home is in Lake Tahoe and I'm getting ready to put Vekadeck decking and routed railing for glass panels. Has anyone ever used this? If so what is your experience?

Research I've done indicates that Vekadeck and Azek are presently the best in the market maintenance-wise rather than composite materials like Trex, evergrain, timbertech just to name a few.

We are done with re-staining decks every year!

Azek did not have a color that would work, Veka did...but Azek has west coast distributors, Veka does not which means higher shipping costs.

Also, Veka was not listed on the CA fire Marshall's approved building materials list for use in Wildland Urban areas, but was on the approved list of building materials for WUI. It has a Class A fire spread rating since it's a PVC product. In addition, local code for snowload is 115 pounds per square foot and Veka's stated rating is only 100 pounds.

We've had to jump through hoops with the building department and it's been approved, but before we make the big $$$ purchase.....hoping to get some feedback.

Comments (13)

• seven333
    15 years ago

I've heard that Azek can be slippery when wet but I've never heard of Vekadeck.

• john_hyatt
    15 years ago

Many manmade decking material outfits are going bank0 latley I sugest you not be in the number of the first few to try a new product right now. J.

• martin_carthage
    15 years ago

If you must use PVC decking I think VD is one of the better ones. A little glossy but fundamentally sound. They were also the makers of Trex Escapes for a time, and you may find that Trex Escapes is more widely distributed.

• remodelzombie
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Seems Veka has been around 13 years or so and are fierce competitors with Azek (previously known as Procelll). According to Veka associates, Veka engineered and manufactured the product first, Azek basically took the same product and actually marketed it. I'm thinking, so why don't they market it?

Placing Azek and Veka boards right next to each other.... I didn't notice it being much shinier...the wood grain look is pretty similar too.

I've posted on several other home forums and few seem to know much about it.

Tahoe has harsh weather on decks and siding...we have friends with Trex and Evergrain composites...in two years the decks have deteriorated...you can actually scratch the top surface and get powder.

I checked out other PVC's...Trex Escapes and fiberon sensibuilt but the colors didn't work. I think we may take the leap...Thanks and I'll let you know how it goes.

• chloe_s_mom
    15 years ago

Just looking for an update re Vekadeck.

We've chosen it too for our backyard deck - it was a toss up between Veka and Azek, but I preferred the colour from Veka. I have noticed that on very clean sample boards, Veka is shinier. But otherwise, they look and feel similar to me.

• remodelzombie
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Just ordered it. Supposed to be in first week of May. I'll let you know.

• dan1888
    14 years ago

A friend will be resurfacing his decks and is considering Vekadeck as well as Garapa for the project. What fastening system or component will you use. Have you considered aphano plates or another hidden system.

Here is a link that might be useful: Aphano Fasteners

• remodelzombie
    Original Author
    14 years ago

tiger claws

• NancyK
    8 years ago

@remodelzombie - Hope you are still following Houzz, interested to learn how your Veka deck is holding up 5 years later? Considering installing one myself, don't find a lot of commentary on the Veka product online, any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks

• remodelzombie
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Veka deck still beautiful after 5 years. Easy to no maintenance. We roll it with a recommended sealant each spring. Color has stayed perfectly. No cracks or warping. No staining problems. It has a slight eggshell gloss but not excessive. It is no more icy than a wood deck in the snow. Ice is ice. Make certain you hire someone that knows how to install Veka. I feel the sub-contractor left space between boards as you would in a wood deck for contraction and expansion. Don't need to do that for Veka deck. Consequently, leaves and pine needles get stuck in the cracks and requires a little more effort in the spring to clean it up. Otherwise, we love it! I recommend Veka deck.

• cjayne29
    7 years ago

Hi remodelzombie. What color is your Veka deck? It looks great. Thanks!

• abordone
    5 years ago

We have used this product for a very large deck in New Jersey. It has held up pretty well yet I am disappointed that it stained when sunscreen got on it. Of course people use sunscreen on the deck and this was never specified on the use and care instructions when we installed it.