Return to the Porches & Decks Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Deck Designs

Posted by lnia (My Page) on
Sat, Mar 15, 14 at 15:36

Hello,
We are about to embark on getting our deck built, finally. Below are some designs we are considering. Does anyone have any thoughts that would help lean us toward one design over another. We are limited to about 16 feet In width due to daylight windows, but are considering an angle above the window to allow us to extend the deck to 19/20 feet. Does the angle seem ok? We are also debating the stairs going down in the middle, towards the garage area of the house, or directly down towards the backyard, or towards the house. The towards the house option is probably my least favorite, but I think it blocks the sunlight coming in through the window the least. The other thing to note is that the elevation of the house is about five feet on one side and about 3 feet on the side of the stairs.

Appreciate any ideas, suggestions you may have to share.

Thanks!
 photo Slide3_zpsd9072d02.jpg

photo Slide2_zpsef403cd4.jpg

photo Slide1_zps1dbb57d6.jpg

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Deck Designs

I see nothing wrong with the 1st and 3rd option but I would play with the design of the stairs. Check out the link below which shows what others have done.
Definitely make the deck as large as you can since you'll be surprised how much room chairs/tables/misc take up. Also, I would not clip off the corners as you show in the 1st option.

Here is a link that might be useful: decks and stairs

o
RE: Deck Designs

I'm not quite understanding what you mean about the issue with the windows and the angle on the deck. Can you post a photo of the back of the house where the deck will go?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Porches & Decks Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here