Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nannajoe

Ugly Raised Concret Porch needs help

Nannajoe
12 years ago

The hubby poured a "raised" concrete porch in front of the home, I do not like it. Please recommend an affordable way to dress up the concrete. I've considered putting some tile on it, but have so many irons in the fire, need something affordable that will look good. I think I will plant some boxwoods in front of it, but there will still be concrete showing... *It stands about 2.5-3feet off the ground level.

Thanks!

Comments (4)

• weedyacres
    12 years ago

Can you post a photo?

• czecheart
    11 years ago

Yes, I understand ... concrete contractor for remodeling job made a big mistake pouring my front concrete porch, the shape is wrong. The angle does not lead to the front door, as planned. Here are some options I'm considering...1) covering it with flagstone- you can use any pavers- need to consider the thickness. They can be set in with sand mortar. 2)covering it with tongue and groove porch material called AERATIS- AERATIS looks like wood, can be painted with porch flooring or ordered in wood tones. 3) DIY acid etching or staining. You can stain it solid color or semi-transparent. Box stores carry them , like paint in price. Basically you just apply them like paint. If you did not seal the concrete , that is even better. I searched the internet and saw some very beautiful finishes. You can also be creative. A light and dark color together created some lovely effects as per the pics. I figure if it chips I can keep the gallon on hand for touch ups. (this will not help me b/c it is the shape I am changing) but I am considering this for other areas of concern.

You did not say what you don't like about your concrete porch. For what its worth ... it may not be perfect or as you imagined but in the scheme of things... the boxwoods around it, hanging planters and whatever else you put on the porch it'll dress it up so that I wonder if others will notice what you are seeing. I'm at the age and with enough been-there and done-that experiences that since hubby did all that work for you no matter what you can be proud of him and show it off for that reason.

It might help if you let us know what you don't like about it OR what you finally decide to do.

• jhyattmd
    11 years ago

I just finished doing something similar to my ugly concrete front porch - used concrete stain (not acid) in multiple colors to look like bluestone, then grinded grout lines between the stones and sealed it. Looks very much like real stone and didn't cost very much to do. You may want to try something like this.

• jessie21
    10 years ago

I know this was a long time ago but jhyattmd, do you happen to have any pics of your stained patio? We're going to have a new plain slab poured for our old broken up patio and I'm trying to decide how I might dress it up with stain.