Return to the Porches & Decks Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Deck around a saltwater pool

Posted by EnidOK (My Page) on
Tue, Mar 12, 13 at 14:17

I am replacing a deck around my salt water pool.
The salt concentration is 3200ppm.
I live near Sacramento CA; summer temps are on occasion over 100 and winter rains are heavy.
What brand of wood protector/sealant will work in this enviroment?
Cabot SPF 36 failed, as did Superdeck.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Deck around a saltwater pool

If your looking for an all Natural Wood, any Hardwood should do fine, more specifically Ipe. Ipe is widely use for Docks and Boardwalks (Atlantic City boardwalk for example) and has been known to last a good 20-30 years and running. As for sealing Ipe (or any Hardwood for that matter) be sure to use a product specifically Design for it, I've had success with Messmers UV Plus for Hardwoods and the Woodrich line up.

Also, be sure to use stainless steal screws!

o

I should have stated that the deck material is redwood.
I can afford that but want it to last another 15+ years.
ipe is out of my price range.
All fasteners will be #10x3 316 SS square drive.
I will pre drill and countesink all 1200+ of them.
I'm looking for a wood protector than will withstand my pools salt water. The salt concentration is compared to that of a human tear.
The deck has to be replaced due to failure of the fasteners, all my fault.

o

Maybe use Mahogany, better than softwoods and cheaper that Ipe. But if you use Mahogany buy one of the better types like Meranti or the like from a knowledgeable supplier like a real lumberyard so your sure you end up with a quality deck board.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Porches & Decks Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here