Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
prskier17

Best method of storing Ipe decking on site

prskier17
13 years ago

Hello,

After several months of researching, designing, and doing more research I just pulled the trigger on a bunch of Ipe decking (and some additional Ipe lumber) for the deck we will be building as soon as the weather permits. The Ipe will be delivered in the next week or so and I have several options for storing it to maximize my success and minimize cupping and checking.

1. In the garage. I have a 3rd garage stall that is not used. I can stack it (with sticks) in there and leave the garage door open whenever I'm home... but I'd have to close the door when I'm at work and probably overnight.

2. In the driveway.

3. In the back yard.

Does anyone have a recommendation? Also, I assume I should stack it with "sticks" to provide space between every board. If I stack it outside I'm guessing that I shouldn't wrap it because it will stay wet. Would there be a reason to construct a temporary (tarp and 2x4) shelter over the stack so that it is free to breath but not directly hit with rain, sun, and possibly snow? I want to do whatever I can to acclimate the Ipe. BTW, we are in a suburb of Minneapolis.

Thanks in advance!

Chris

Comments (3)