Return to the Porches & Decks Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
proper fix for sagging concrete porch

Posted by RockportMA (My Page) on
Thu, Mar 14, 13 at 13:37

My front porch is concrete and is sagging in the middle against the house (almost 40 years old). When I called a mason about painting it he showed me that I need more than just paint. He said the proper fix is to pull off the concrete, put in the proper support underneath then put a new concrete porch top (aesthetic options available).
Separately, A hardscape/landscaper said it's fine to leave what's there, level it with sand and use some form of paver over it (essentially), significantly less money. I feel like there the later may be more of a bandaid but I want to learn and make the best choice of how to correct the situation. Please see the atteached pictures and let me know what information I should post to help gain advice for the proper repair. I plan to discuss it with more contractors but people at GardenWeb have been great with information and ideas.

Thank you in advance for any help

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: proper fix for sagging concrete porch

The slab is failing. Putting pavers over a failing slab is adding more weight to a failing slab, and as it continues to settle the pavers will show that settlement. Additionally you have a low spot in the concrete. Any water that doesn't run off the porch is going to sit against the house under the pavers.

Did the paver guy say he was going to remove the siding, waterproof, and flash behind the pavers? Or was he going to slap the pavers right up against the siding to help the house rot faster?

Replace the slab the right way. It sucks but you can't do what the other guy suggested.

o

Thank you marcinde. I don't know if the paver guy would do the water proofing, flashing etc. But it doesn't feel right so I don't think I'll pursue it. You add good thoughts to my suspicions. Yes, I've been thinking that with the sagging, water probably hasn't been running off properly and I'm bracing myself for the "we didn't know until we got in there" regarding any rot already done from whoever takes it off - as with any project you don't know what you can't see.

Thanks Again.

o

Thank you marcinde. I don't know if the paver guy would do the water proofing, flashing etc. But it doesn't feel right so I don't think I'll pursue it. You add good thoughts to my suspicions. Yes, I've been thinking that with the sagging, water probably hasn't been running off properly and I'm bracing myself for the "we didn't know until we got in there" regarding any rot already done from whoever takes it off - as with any project you don't know what you can't see.

Thanks Again.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Porches & Decks Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here