Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
natsis_gw

attaching pergola to house?

natsis
14 years ago

We would like to build a pergola over a patio outside a sliding glass door. I would like it to be attached to the house on one side and 2 posts on the opposite side. The soffit enclosing the rafters comes right above the sliding door so there is no room to attach a ledger board above the door. The fascia board has a gutter attached to it. Any ideas how to attach the pergola given these restraints?

Thanks, Julie

Comments (12)

• john_hyatt
    14 years ago

This is one of those things that should not have worked.

The man had made up 1/2'' x 3'' steel L brackets that lag bolted to the soffit framing extended past it and up to the roof line the patio cover fastened to it. Two post held up the outside.

He used 2x10'' framing with a double overlay of 2x6'' the frame extended 12' or so. I got called out for some deck repair on the project the cover had been up for 5 years. J.

• natsis
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Actually this sounds like it might be similar to something a handyman suggested to me. He suggested fabricating a steel L bracket that would attach on the underside of the soffit (the full depth), extend to just beyond the gutter and then 90 deg. up. The ledger would then be bolted to this bracket. does this sound like something that would work if it is tied into framing of the soffit?

• john_hyatt
    14 years ago

After maney years framing new houses and doing the closed soffit I can say the 2xs we installed to hold up the 1/4'' plywood was just enough to get paid your basic toenail to the plate/couple of nail gun pops to the rafter tails. This was with stick framing,trusses would be different gussets are used and thats a little stronger far as laging into them.

Now would I do the bracket thing laged to the soffit framing for a Wallet, No, for a lot of reasons.

If it was my own place,knowing what I do,after an inpection of the framing and adding a few mods like a plywood gusset conection to the rafter tails/soffet framing, the structure was in my realm possible to do with that support. Hell yes I would do it just for the braging rights.

There is the given the JonMon has been doing this from the time I built my first two story playhouse with a platform on top for my bedroll so I could look at the Midland Texas stars and hear the motorcycles on those Texas roads at 3 in the morning when I was 12 years old.

So really you Folks at home....dont try this. J.

• brickeyee
    14 years ago

Adding two more posts might actually be a cheaper alternative than tearing up the gutter, fascia, and soffits

• john_hyatt
    14 years ago

I agree Brick,cant you just see a strong wind catching it and riping the whole thing side way to the street.

On the other hand built corectley with no roof on the overlay to cause uplift and a few braces here and there the thing would work,if I did it, even in Okie land with the march storms coming. J.

• brickeyee
    14 years ago

I have seen multiple pergolas covered with foliage that then failed by uplift, or further down the line rot.

All the nice greenery keeps the wood wet constantly.

They look nice while they remain standing, especially with a flowering plant.

• natsis
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Could I use some kind of angled brace that attaches to the exterior wall instead? I don't want posts set 2 feet from the house as it would block views from adjacent windows.

• john_hyatt
    14 years ago

Sure,why not , as long as the fasteners run into the center of the studs and the steel is heavy enough. J

• john_hyatt
    14 years ago

YO Nat,I got to going over my site thinking about moving things around and I had forgoton or mixed up another job with that one.

Anyway what we did over there was rebuild the whole thing deck and cover using the old steel soffit brackets. That was at least 9 years ago mabey longer. I went by there just to see when I saw it on my site ( I really dont go over there all that much ) The thing is still up looks the same as the day we built it although they painted it brown.

Go take a look. www.deckmastersllc.com JonMon

• natsis
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Jon,
    I looked at your website. I think the one you are referring to has the pergola sitting above the roof structure. What kind of brackets are being used to achieve that?
    In my earlier post I was actually referring to a wooden knee brace type of bracket attached to the house to support a ledger at the same height as my fascia but just a bit away from the alum. gutter. I can't seem to find any photos of something like this on line so I'm wondering if it's not advisable.

• natsis
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Jon,
    I looked at your website. I think the one you are referring to has the pergola sitting above the roof structure. What kind of brackets are being used to achieve that?
    In my earlier post I was actually referring to a wooden knee brace type of bracket attached to the house to support a ledger at the same height as my fascia but just a bit away from the alum. gutter. I can't seem to find any photos of something like this on line so I'm wondering if it's not advisable.

• john_hyatt
    14 years ago

Fourth down on the left.

These guys went above the roof line , behind the gutter and back to the soffet framing using 1/2'' steel L brackets. Notice the lack of posts close to the house.

No real reason to go above the roof line if you dident want to execpt head room. A person could have the brackets made up any way they wanted.

Again just because this worked for them wont mean it will work for you its all in the install. J.