Return to the Porches & Decks Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Pavers or Flagstone in sand - is one patio easier than the other?

Posted by tomatotomata (My Page) on
Thu, Mar 17, 11 at 11:18

I'm a rank beginning DIYer. Is it reasonable to think I could pull off a patio? I'm inexperienced, but physically able to do the work.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Pavers or Flagstone in sand - is one patio easier than the ot

Sure you can do it! If you are meaning true flagstone vs. pavers, the pavers will be infinitely easier because they are uniform in size and smooth. I've seen some "flagstone look" concrete pavers which would be pretty much the same as the brick style - I believe the flagstones have a half-dozen or so shapes which interlock giving the irregular look.

I built our paver patio having never done anything like it before. It just takes time, a wheelborrow, muscles and sunblock. Doing it yourself, you won't have the rest of the lawn torn up with equipment. A landscaper once told me he counted on lawn repair following a patio install.

Here are some photos of ours - information is below some of the pictures. Good luck.

Here is a link that might be useful: Patio

o
fnmroberts - Thanks for the encouragement

Your patio looks great. I think it is getting time for me to stop researching (translation: stalling) and start digging. Keep your fingers crossed for me.

o

No idea where you live but around here, it is way too soon for projects like a patio.

Ours totals <700 sq. ft. and it took me about 3 months of primarily weekends. One of our boys was living here then and assisted. If you've researched, then you know about depth of the necessary base. Allow some grade away from the building for drainage (I used 1/8" per ft.) but I also have French drainage around the perimeter. Rent a plate compactor (on several occassions) and use it for every 3" of base, again atop the sand before final install and once more following the pavers.

When designing/building ours, I placed string lines to define the space, then excavated the top soil. Next I rented a transit and determined my grade (mine is crowned plus grades away from the house) marking fill levels on strategically placed stakes.

Just think about what you want to do there when the patio is finished. Make provisions for electricity, gas, water, shade. I figure it saved about $10,000 DIY'ing ours which were tax-free $$$'s and made it worthwhile.

If you can plan it, you can build it. Have fun.

o

Yes you can do it. It'll be a lot easier if whatever material you use is of similar thickness. Pavers and most dimensional flagging fill that requirement.

Irregular flagging can vary in thickness by several inches, it can be a bit of work to rough set a piece of irregular flagging, lift, adjust the setting bed, set again, tamp, lift and adjust one more time, reset, then move on to the next piece. Not to mention chipping away at it to make it better fit. Sometimes it goes well, other times slowly.

I'm in CT, most of the work I've done is with dimensional bluestone. Looks very nice, goes down well, and lasts forever.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Porches & Decks Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here