Return to the Porches & Decks Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Sand and Gravel under Paver Patio or just Gravel?

Posted by gideonsmom (My Page) on
Sat, Mar 20, 10 at 10:58

We are putting in a 400 square foot patio and were planning to put in 4 inches of gravel (crusher) and 2 inches of sand under the 16 inch patio pavers. Then we were told by one of the stone/sand/mulch companies we spoke to that they don't think we need the sand and that when they do patios they never use the 2 inches of sand underneath--just 6 inches of gravel. I just wondered if anyone had heard this. I assume we will use the sand, but it would be cheaper not to use it.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Sand and Gravel under Paver Patio or just Gravel?

I use 6 to 8 inches of crushed concrete as my sub base under patio pavers or flagstone decks if my buyers don't want to pay for a concrete sub base. Then I put 1/2" to 1" of masons sand or torpedo sand, after placing my patio pavers I sprinkle masons sand in between the bricks, lightly water, and repeat the process.
You can also use crushed granite or a 3 sack stabilized sand as your sub base.

See ya,
Kelly

o

Thanks! That's what most of the DIY websites said too! (I forgot that we were getting 2 inches of sand so we'd have 1 inch under the crusher run and 1 inch to sprinkle.)

So I guess we stick with our plan.

o

Yeah, you need sand to set the pavers. Sand is easier to level and makes a more solid base than gravel. You don't need a 2" layer on top of the gravel, but you need enough to make the base level.

o

Am putting down pavers in a row for a pathway. After I put in the sand, should I water/sprinkle it to firm it up or is just putting in the sand (about 2" worth) & then putting the paver on top enough?

o

me, i would use 2 inchs of fine gravel you can get on top.sand could wash away over years etc and gravel will still be there.

i never see sand on top,always fine gravel.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Porches & Decks Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here