Return to the Porches & Decks Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Removing Posts from Beam

Posted by threedogfarm (My Page) on
Thu, Mar 26, 09 at 10:44

Hi All,

I need some help in sizing a beam for my existing deck. The deck currently extends approx 25' from the house and is supported by 3 trippled 2X10 beams supported by 6x6s every 10'. The beams are 8' on center. The deck is freestanding so there is no leger board. I would like to park a trailer under the deck but to so I would need to remove the center beams posts. What size beam would I need to support the center beam. I would like to go the full 16' to the other posts, but if that's not possible what would the maxim span that would not required an engineered beam.

Thanks for you help

Peter

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Removing Posts from Beam

Are the beams in one span or are they spliced over the posts. J.

o

Yes they are splice over the post.

o

You can span 16' using a triple 2x10'' with no problem. It might be a little tricky holding up the project while your doing that but Im sure you can rig up some temp support including some diagonal bracing.

If you have room for the trailer/truck it would be possible to install another beam under the two existing. This would be a lot easier. J.

o

Thanks John,

What I want to try is to temporarly support all three beams then cut off the top of the two remaining posts the height of the new beam so I can use the existing post and footings.

o

That would do it Dog. J.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Porches & Decks Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here