Return to the Porches & Decks Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Non toxic deck cleaner?

Posted by torajima (My Page) on
Sat, Mar 22, 08 at 10:40

I need to clean the dirt and algae off my deck before restaining it. I bought some deck cleaner from Lowes, but the warnings on it are pretty frightening.

I've got pets that lay on the deck and even eat off the deck, and a bunch of perennials growing right next to the deck, so I'd prefer to use something a little less toxic.

Has anyone tried Simple Green's deck cleaner, and does it work?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Non toxic deck cleaner?

To be safe, I would get a hard scrub brush with some bleach & water. Wet the deck, apply bleach and SCRUB away. You can rent a pressure washer to remove the harder stains.
Gas pressure washers are the best, just make sure to use the "fan" setting or risk tearing holes in your deck.
Practice using the washer on a sheet of plywood to get the hang of it before using on a deck.
Rick

o

Thanks, but I've heard that pressure washers can damage the wood if you don't know what you're doing (and I haven't a clue).

And I would prefer to use something less toxic than bleach, if possible.

o

RESTORE A DECK
www.restore-a-deck.com

o

I've used and like the Dekswood from Flood.
Pressure-washing is great...BUT...
>>> Keep the pressure to 500 psi or less.
>>> Keep tip ONE FOOT away.
>>> Keep the tip moving.

Any higher than 500 psi, and you're crushing wood fibers...which is exactly what you DON'T want to do!!

If deck is 5 years old or more...sand it instead of "wet"-cleaning.

Check out Sikkens website too. Very good cleaning advice.

Faron

Here is a link that might be useful: Sikkens website

o

Sol-U-Mel wonderful cleaner, non-toxic. I have found that it works on just about anything!

dahdbs@comcast.net

o

You can try OxiClean, or CorteClean. A little harder to use but non-toxic and can be effective if you really stick to it.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Porches & Decks Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here