Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kahlanne_gw

Rustic Salvage Sunroom

kahlanne
13 years ago

I hope this is the correct place to ask this. If it isn't and you know a better place, please let me know.

We have an old, aluminum sunroom that is disrepair which we want to tear down and rebuild. However, I would love something that is a little nicer but not so budget harming as some of the pricing I have been given. My dh is very handy and can build most things given the time and opportunity but he has never worked with windows before. I was hoping we could build a new sunroom out of reclaimed pieces which are readily available at a good price around here. I would love for you to read my ideas and tell me the flaws or if it is feasible especially for a handyman and not a regular builder.

My thoughts...Our sunroom would be 26.5'X 15.5' on the existing slab created using primarily reclaimed pieces. There would be a knee wall with windows of different styles and sizes above. The windows would be salvaged, many multipaned glass with grids and off all sizes/shapes. We would get the amount desired and lay out a pattern that would work. One spot may have two on top of each other and beside that one tall or maybe three smaller stacked. The siding material would more than likely be new wood since we don't have access to as much old in great condition but we can always search. We could also use our vinyl siding if necessary but I like the rustic feeling of the wood with the salvaged pieces. The doors would also be salvaged pieces. The only issue my dh saw is that most of the salvaged windows come without the workings, forgot the name, so they would have to be stationary. I know in our current sunroom, we have never opened the windows so I don't see it as a big issue. We will have heating and air installed same as previous sunroom. Don't get me wrong, I would love for them to be operational but it isn't that necessary in my mind. What do you think? If we found a few older windows that would be operational, we could always install them across from each other and those be the only ones. Thinking out loud. Otherwise, I don't know how you would make the old windows "work". I passed by a sunroom today that had new windows in old style that lifted up and out almost like on a hinge. I didn't see it close up but wonder if there is some way to do something like this? When open they almost looked like awnings. Anyway, what do you think of my idea? Do you think it is possible for a great handyman that is not experienced with windows? Any ideas or tips?

Thanks so much.

Comments (2)