Return to the Porches & Decks Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Olympic Stain Sealer vs Minwax Helmsman

Posted by starplex (My Page) on
Tue, Mar 5, 13 at 9:04

Last year we had our porch remodeled. The ceiling is Pine Bead board. When new last year I stained the ceiling with Minwax Polyshade, which turned out great. However, the ceiling gets mildew on it from time to time (southern humidity). At this point which would be the better option, to coat with Helsman Spar Urethane as an outdoor protector to combat the mildew, or apply something like a Stain Sealer (Olympic, Cabot, etc) that is meant for Decks and fences that resists mildew?

I really don't want to strip the original stain as the concrete floor has SunDek on it & I don't want to risk damaging the floor coating with a stain stripper on the ceiling.

Any advice is appreciated.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Olympic Stain Sealer vs Minwax Helmsman

I may be mistaken but I do believe that Polyshades is an interior only product which may be partially why your having this issue. If your going to recoat I would use a Spar Varnish personally.

o
RE: Olympic Stain Sealer vs Minwax Helmsman

A touchy situation. ANYTHING you put on that ceiling now will still have the mildew, eventually, unless you can remove all of what is there.
Spar urethane or varnish would be my vote, but that mildew is tenacious stuff.
Good luck.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Porches & Decks Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here