Return to the Porches & Decks Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
PLEASE Tell Me How To Keep Front Porch Rockers Clean

Posted by just_me_6 (My Page) on
Sun, Mar 3, 13 at 8:35

I have white front porch rockers from Lowe's. They constantly look bad and are hard to clean. They seem to look dirty again 3 days after I've cleaned them. What's up with that?

Should I just give up and paint them a darker color?

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: PLEASE Tell Me How To Keep Front Porch Rockers Clean

Are they plastic? Are they wood? A leaf blower should work fine!

Anything outside will always get dusty. I have teak furniture with white cushions. I finally broke down, got a roll of sunbrella fabric, measured and made slipcovers for the cushions..like pillowcases, and they are easy to wash.

Between washings I use a whisk broom, and it works fine.

Good luck!
Suzi

This post was edited by desertdance on Thu, Mar 7, 13 at 11:42

o

I bought Martha Stewart Brown wicker look porch furniture. I think it is some type of resin. It still gets dusty, but doesn't show dirt. I wash it down every year, have had it out in partial sun 7 years and it still looks great. The cushions were the problem. I put the furniture out may-October and the cushion fabric faded terribly after about 5 years. I tried to find replacement cushions, but couldn't match the size/shape. Last year I had them redone by an upholsterer in outdoor fabric. Cost am almost as much as the whole set did when new, but I really love the way it looks. Hopefully the new fabric will
wear better. I would paint yours darker.

o

Painting might make them look cleaner. Scrub existing mildew from the wood of the porch. Mix together bleach and water in a bucket and scrub the mildew areas with a stiff brush. Rinse the area with water and dry.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Porches & Decks Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here